Boot problems

Tabletop Expert

I want it to snow!
I have a problem with my boot sector I think, and I don't know how to fix it :( . I had xp home installed on hda and I installed red hat 9 on hdb. I decided to install grub boot loaded because I didn't have a boot loader. It worked fine my first two reboots but then it said hard drive error. I reinstalled linux and again it worked fine for the first two reboots and then again said hard drive error. I have since deleted linux from hdb and want to get rid of grub boot loader as I can't restart my computer unless I install linux again.

I am being a vague here but I hope you can see where I am coming from.

Thanks for any help :)

fdisk /mbr will do the trick i guess, or use the xp recovery console and use the fixboot (not sure) command.

You will need to boot to your Windows XP CD and lauch recovery console. From there, run the following commands:

fixmbr
fixboot

That's it. DO NOT RUN FDISK/MBR as that will make a standard FAT bootsector (Windows 2000/XP has a special NTLDR bootsector).

Reg said:
You will need to boot to your Windows XP CD and lauch recovery console. From there, run the following commands:

fixmbr
fixboot

That's it. DO NOT RUN FDISK/MBR as that will make a standard FAT bootsector (Windows 2000/XP has a special NTLDR bootsector).

Cheers thanks alot I dont have a xp home disk but I can boot recovery console from the hard drive

For the record, Fixboot replaces the bootfiles, NTLDR and such, 'fdisk /mbr' or 'fixmbr' only resets the mbr back to the HD's (not operating systems) original state. No version of Windows installs it's bootloader in the mbr only the active Windows system partition.

Something else to try>

go to run --> type msconfig

click boot.ini tab and click "Check boot paths"

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back