Boot Problem (txtsetup.sif is corrupt)

rainer79

OSNN Newbie
Last night I restarted Windows (XP PRO), and it hung on the reboot before getting to the Win logo. I rebooted again and again and it never progressed to Windows. Nothing had been troubling before this. I tried booting from the Windows CD, but got the following error:

Inf file txtsetup.sif is corrupt or missing, status 32768. Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

Look into either bad media or hardware.

May want to test your memory as well.

If you have the opportunity, try taking out one stick of RAM at a time (if you have two) or replacing the RAM with something else. Usually, setup problems are due to bad memory. Although I have had a persistent setup problem that never went away until I replaced a power supply...maybe the voltage spikes were causing logic problems. Who knows?

I'll try removing each memory stick in turn and will repost tomorrow (or tonight if it works!). Thanks.

Also run the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic utilities on the hard drive it may have died.

Just last month a friend of mine had the same problem (the hard drive failed the test) he replaced the hard drive and everything went fine.

I just replace the hard drive in one of my systems today this system would take 15 minutes to get to windows the few time it did. (it to would hang just before the windows logo or windows loading)

What sucks is this was the second hard drive this week to go down in two different machines. :devious:

I swapped out the RAM as suggested, but the memory was fine. I've tried restarting in all the various safe modes, but the computer always hangs. I'd like to try running the hard drive diagnostics as bush dogg suggests, but I don't know how to do this. Could someone provide instructions or a link to such? Assuming the hard drive *has* died, what options do I have for recovering data? Also very much interested in any other ideas as to what to check. Thanks!

rainer79 said:
I'd like to try running the hard drive diagnostics as bush dogg suggests, but I don't know how to do this. Could someone provide instructions or a link to such?

Need manufacture of drive.

What sucks is this was the second hard drive this week to go down in two different machines.

I would tell him to change his PSU i had a similar problem and lost 3 drives before i relized it was my PSU going on slowely and taking things with it.

I disconnect both CD-ROMs, the floppy drive, and audio card, and still it won't boot (I'd already tried the memory). When I disconnected the ZIP drive (Primary Slave), I got an error saying no OS was installed. Ideas? Was wondering if a bad power supply could give such problems (would like to know whether this is possible before going out and getting a new one). Thanks!

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310064

Here you are Rainer, good luck. The final suggestion should be standard on any XP install. copy the i386 folder over first.

This behavior may occur if any one of the following conditions is true: • Your Windows XP CD-ROM is scratched, smudged, or dirty. Clean the Windows XP CD-ROM with a soft cloth, insert it in the CD-ROM drive, and then click OK.
• Your CD-ROM drive is not working correctly or the CD-ROM might be vibrating too much for the laser to accurately read the data. For more information about this problem, see your hardware documentation or contact the CD-ROM manufacturer.
• If you are using multiple CD-ROM drives, your computer may be trying to locate files on the wrong drive. If your hardware has a feature to disable CD-ROM drives that are not being used, disable the CD-ROM drives that you are not using.
• Your computer is over-clocked. Because over-clocking is very memory-intensive, decoding errors may occur when you extract files from your Windows XP CD-ROM.
• Try to use the default clock timings for your motherboard and processor. For more information about how to do this, see your hardware documentation or contact the motherboard manufacturer.
• Your computer has damaged or mismatched random access memory (RAM) or cache memory. For example, you might be using a combination of extended data out (EDO) and non-EDO RAM, or different RAM speeds.

Decoding errors may occur even if Windows appears to be running correctly. These errors occur because of the additional stress that is put on your computer when Windows tries to extract files and to access the hard disk.

To determine how to make your computer cache memory unavailable while you are running the Setup program, see your hardware documentation or contact your hardware manufacturer.
• Ultra direct memory access (DMA) is turned on in your computer's CMOS settings, and the data is moving too quickly.
• Change from DMA mode to Processor Input/Output (PIO) mode to lower your data transfer rate. If this does not resolve the problem, lower your PIO mode settings. The higher your PIO mode settings are, the faster your data transfer is.
• You are using a third-party memory manager.
• There is a virus on your computer.
If you continue to receive this error message, copy the i386 folder from the CD-ROM drive to your local hard disk, and then try to run the Setup program from your hard disk.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back