Boot Linux from cd

Perris Calderon

dealer
Staff member
Political Access
ok guys, here's a great post dirk diggler made on the rabid penguin

both of these guys are great members here at ntfs.

dirk posted the links, and suggested trying to download a distro to cd, and then boot to cd

now, obviously this isgoing to be a slow render, as to the speed of your cd, etc, and work will obviosly be temprorary.

but to me it's the best way to get started with an expeiment with linux.

so, I chose the mandrake

now, I have the cd written, and I guess all I have to do is set to boot from cd.

now, when I'm done, how do I get to boot from c?...will I have access on the next boot?

if anyones done this, please give me step by step.

beginning on how to set my boot process to begin the process.

thanx for any help

maybe some other bod peeps might want to run this with me, and we'll all learn together

thanx in advance

I remember the installation of Mandrake being really straightforward. You don't need to create any partitions beforehand BTW. They will be created during the setup process.

And yes, at the end of setup, you will see LILO/GRUB (the bootloader) after you reboot, since they are written to the MBR and overwrite the Windows bootloader. Just select Linux from the list, and you should be in.

Feel free to ask if you need anything else. We'll be more than happy to help you out. :)

These versions of Linux don't create any partitions, they actually boot to the CD-ROM. They are basically test O.S.'s so nothing can get damaged through doing something wrong during the partitioning. If you don't like Linux, simply don't put the CD-ROM back into the drive.

Oh I see ... like Knoppix.
I thought Perris was trying out the actual Mandrake distro. :)

I haven't tried any of these Linux-on-a-CD distros, but I would assume they don't write anything to your hard drive, so you would need to boot from the CD itself.
But again, I'm not sure about this.

ya...I'm going to try it from cd first,, and then get to an actual mandrake partition happening if I like what's going on.

my only consern is if I set to boot from cd, then don't I have to reset to boot from c when I want xp back?

... or you could just take the CD out of the drive, and it'll boot from the hard disk. :)

Originally posted by NetRyder
... or you could just take the CD out of the drive, and it'll boot from the hard disk. :)

that's it?

even tthough I already instructed to boot from "d"

well most bios setups will boot from the cd then if nothing is there go to the hard drive or floppy drive, or vice versus.

just go into bios have it boot to the cd first hard drive second floppy third.

no biggie really

cool.gif

Originally posted by Iceman
well most bios setups will boot from the cd then if nothing is there go to the hard drive or floppy drive, or vice versus.

just go into bios have it boot to the cd first hard drive second floppy third.

no biggie really

cool.gif

Exactly :)

thanx ice., dd and netryder...will try tongiht...if you don't see me for a few days, that'll mean you guyz fujucked me up

hey ice...I'm starting to build my cafe

gonna make a post about it as soon as everythings down on paper.

howz my bussiness plan comming?

almost done?

can't wai to see itt:cool:

well. I got the boot screen, selected boot from cd, and all I can get is xp

tried this half dozen times

any suggestions?

Looks like the cd you made isn't bootable.
How did you make it?
Download an ISO file, then open Nero (only know this one), close the wizzard screen (hope that's the right name), go to the file menu, click open, navigate to the ISO and burn it to cd. You should now have a bootable cd. Don't extract the iso before burning.
If the bios is configured to boot from cd first and there is a disk in the drive, you should get the message 'Press any key to boot from cd'. At least that's how it works for me.
Btw. tried Knoppix some time ago and have Mandrake installed in VMWare (Virtual PC), another good way to try an OS without actually making up a dual boot system.

pretty sure that's what I did yoyo

I downloaded, then burnt to cd without extracting.

then I hit escape while booting, and got the boot options, which asked where to boot from, cd being one of the locations.

that's what I did, and kept getting xp

I guess I'll try something other then mandrake, or try to burn another cd with this file...maybe corrupt I guess, but that would be too much of a coincidence.

I'll give a report tomorrow.

thanx for trying yoyo

where ya been?

haven't seen you here for a coupla days

ok, going to bed.

g'nite

I always use ISO Buster and extract the CD boot img from the folder in the CD, then add that to the CD when I burn it with Nero

Been here every day. Don't forget - other time zone. (past 3 am here now). :rolleyes:

Knowing from other sources ;) that you can't even open the cd, I'd say either in downloading or in burning something got wrong. It is possible to open Linux cds from within Windows. At least you can see which files are on the disk. Just tried it.

g'nite :)

Originally posted by Geffy
I always use ISO Buster and extract the CD boot img from the folder in the CD, then add that to the CD when I burn it with Nero
Why? Seems pretty pointless to me. Just burn the ISO and it works.

dealer: You can't run Mandrake from the CD, only install it. If you want a CD-distro there are others, like ISO-Linux (I think), that do this.

To boot from the CD, set BIOS to boot from the ATAPI CD-ROM before the harddisk (normally HDD0). Insert the CD and reboot. Don't press anything, it will boot the CD by itself. If not then:
1. The CD is not bootable
2. The BIOS setting is wrong
3. Your CD-drive is fux0red (not likely)

Originally posted by Zedric

dealer: You can't run Mandrake from the CD, only install it. If you want a CD-distro there are others, like ISO-Linux (I think), that do this.

To boot from the CD, set BIOS to boot from the ATAPI CD-ROM before the harddisk (normally HDD0). Insert the CD and reboot. Don't press anything, it will boot the CD by itself. If not then:
1. The CD is not bootable
2. The BIOS setting is wrong
3. Your CD-drive is fux0red (not likely)
On mine, you have to press enter to boot from CD when it prompts you, otherwise it ignores them and boots from hard drive.

Originally posted by Zedric

thanx zedrix...will try

nope

got the cuse demo on cd downloaded last night, wrote the iso to disc, booted to cd

got xpup and running in no time

I guess I'll download nero, and abstract the files

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back