boot is sooo damn slooow

apu95

Caffeine-->Code Converter
ok, i know this has been asked a gazillion times, but here goes
my boot from power to usable progs takes like 3 min, which is like a huge amount of time.
anyway, what can i do to reduce the boot time? i have no idea how to use that bootvis thingy, i have it, but im kinda confused. i already unchecked most of the progs in the startup except for nortonav, zonealarm, ati, and intellipoint software

thanks, apu95

there is a file you can download in the tweaks section to speed up boot time. I did it, and my boot time now is only 25 seconds....from video card bios flash to login screen.

Gigabyte GA-5SMM Mobo
128 ram
winxp pro
ati radeon 32 sdr mb pci
onboard audio
lifeview cam
hp cd writer plus 8x4x32
liteon 40x cdrom

You want to do three things:

1) Run BootVis. It's really very simple - first run it and let it do it's Trace, and then after the reboot (and give it plenty of time to finish the trace process after the reboot) run the Optimize function.

2) If you are not on a network, disable the Workstation Service.

3) Disable all other unnecessary services (if you are unsure which ones to disable, see this link: http://www.tweakxp.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=639

Here you go m8.. just what you need.,

bootvis (microsoft utility)
http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/platform/performance/fastboot/default.asp

tick all boxes on main window (incl. disk utilization)

click trace menu and next boot+drivers set to 1of1

let it run and you will auto-reboot and get returned to main bootvis screen, if not, run again and click File/Open, navigate to where you installed bootvis and a .BIN file should be available.

Load this into Bootvis and click Trace menu & Optimize

after some jigging about it will exit.. hopefully on your next boot you should see improvement.

Bootvis tracks bootup & shutdown & hibernate and speeds it all up..

Thanks Microsoft!! :)

Stuy_b

ok, i did bootvis, twice. anyway, i optimized and i timed from a cold boot to working desktop, it took 3 min 18 sec. that time pretty much sucks, doesn't it? apparently it took even longer befor optimizing.

Okay, one last thing:

Start
Run
Regedit

Then navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters

Check the setting for EnablePrefetcher
It should be 3. If it isn't, change it to 3.

I'd be buying more RAM if I were you also. 128 is not going to cut it with XP.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back