Boot from CD

A

alexibm

it appears to be that I can't boot from my cd to intall XP
-----------

I went into my BIOS setting and Changed boot order so CD-Rom would be first to boot

But XP installation wounld not start :( It would skip into Windows 2000 StartUp

What should I do ?

I believe the *original* MS WinXP CD's are all bootable. If yours is not... go to http://www.bootdisk.com/ and get youself a nice boot floppy. You'll have to format / fdisk from the flop.

Good luck,
Willem Moolenaar

Originally posted by catch23
Make sure your CD-ROM device is set to AUTO in the BIOS...

Tell me more about that !

how do I get to those setting

---------------
forgot to mention
I dont have Floppy drive

Alex - 3 questions:

1) Are you booting to an oririnal XP Home or Professional CD?
2) When you exit bios, are you saving your settings? Next time you go in make sure CD is still at the top of the list.
3) How many CD drives do you have?

Press/not press any key before all that " dots " appears one by one . I don't remember if to press or not , but to press I quess ..:rolleyes:

Jim
XP-erienced

Strange thing started to happened with my Writer..........it writes the CD to 70% and dies on me :(

I am back with more freaky stuff
--------------------------------------------------------

Now it loads from a cd but it gives me a strange error

error code 18688 \i386\biosinfo.inf is not found

catch23
-----------------------

???what do you mean ?

alexibm,

Hi, I see its not working too well for you. :( I do not endorse illegal copying, but I will not judge you for it either. Perhaps you even have a legal copy of WinXP. If you copy a bootable CD by placing the files on your harddisk and THEN copying those to a new CD, or, if you copy the CD by selecting the files on it and THEN copying those to a new CD, the result will be a NON bootable CD. You must do 1:1 CD copies to retain CD bootability.

If you are sure your WinXP CD is fine (bootable or not) you may want to consider using a bootflop and doing an installation from there. Again... they have some nice WinXP bootflops from the site i mentioned earlier.

Ofcoarse, making you current CD bootable is great, but a bit more work.

Kind regards,
Willem Moolenaar

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back