bluetooth head set/ any concerns?

Perris Calderon

dealer
Staff member
Political Access
ok, I know there was a big deal made about cell phones and brain cancer, I also know the reports were supposedly discredited

I'm thinking I really don't want those bluetooth transmitions that close to my brain

I sort of wish I didn't get that head set now

ah me

The original reports weren't actually discredited. The phone companies actually commisioned and paid for it. When the results came out the phone companies denied they were accurate.

What the original report found was that exposure levels high enough to cause cancer were related to the antenna design and length of exposure. Some of the phones had much higher radiation levels inside the head due to their antenna design.

All of the phone manufacturers quickly made changes to their antenna designs based on the results of the study that they refused to accept. That pretty much validates the study no matter what the phone companies claim.

Look at the antenna design of the bluetooth headset and compare it to the positioning of your cellphone antenna.

The other consideration before you go bluetooth is frequency.
Cell's are 820-860 mHz.
Blue tooth is 2.4 gHz aka microwave frequencies.
Portable phones used to be 900 mHz newer ones are now 2.5gHz or 5 gHz (aka microwave).

I have no intention of ever putting a tiny microwave oven next to my brain. It's crapping out fast enough from age and I don't want to accelerate the process.

Different frequencies have different abilities to penetrate bone and skin. Sub Ghz range get absorbed by water in tissues and don't penetrate as well. Up in the Ghz ranges the water absorption varies. I think 2.5gHz still gets absorbed then 5 gHz gets through?

The real kicker to discourage headsets though is that exposure time was also a consideration. Sitting around a couple hours a night with your headset on is a lot worse than a few chats on a cell phone.

Last edited:
yup thats why i got rid of my bluetooth headset, i try to keep my phone as far away aswell by just putting it on speaker phone and having it arms distance away

themafia.69 said:
yup thats why i got rid of my bluetooth headset, i try to keep my phone as far away aswell by just putting it on speaker phone and having it arms distance away
that info is a week late and 50 bucks short

you owe me the differance between what I paid and what I get

will set up pay pal

Put a peice of tin foil between the antenna and your head...

Besides, for a democrat is brain damage really a big issue? :lick:

Seriously, is it one of those ear clip types with an internal antenna? Those I would not trust at all, they are jammed right against the skull.

Last edited:
and btw guys maybe its just me but since here the frequency that is used in my phone is 1900mhz (my phone is triple band 900/1800/1900mhz) i do get headaches more than when i am in saudi or bahrain, egypt etc, because they run on 900.

themafia.69 said:
and btw guys maybe its just me but since here the frequency that is used in my phone is 1900mhz (my phone is triple band 900/1800/1900mhz) i do get headaches more than when i am in saudi or bahrain, egypt etc, because they run on 900.

That could be caused by anything. I wouldn't blame that on the frequency used by your phone. ;)

Don't sell your BT headset just yet. There's one small thing being overlooked here. The maximum output power of a typical cell phone is 600 milliwatts, range several miles. The maximum output of a typical bluetooth headset is measured in microwatts, range 30 feet. You do the math.

o2d said:
Don't sell your BT headset just yet. There's one small thing being overlooked here. The maximum output power of a typical cell phone is 600 milliwatts, range several miles. The maximum output of a typical bluetooth headset is measured in microwatts, range 30 feet. You do the math.
it's burried in my ear, which in my case is kind of close to my brain, I understand it's not too much juice, by really, I don't want to take any kind of chance, I don't have enough brain cells to loose more then a few

Last edited:
I've only had my bluetooth headset for a little bit of time, actually, but I don't see how it is worse for you then the actual unit? I had a LG phone (can't remember model number) that after 10-15 minutes of usage the side of my face felt like it was burning. So far, I haven't noticed the same with the bluetooth.

Is there a report knocking bluetooth or just the phones themselves?

just because u cant feel it doesnt mean its not doing as much damage if not more

ha, now I'm going to be pretty paranoid about it. Think I'll start using speaker phone moreso than the bluetooth then (if at all). Thanks for the info

yeah the reason i always try to put it on speaker phone here in canada, is because i talk to 99% of my friends for free (fido to fido) so i talk much more than when i was in saudi, thats why i keep it on speakerphone unless im in public transportation or such

Before you all whip yourselves into a frenzy, consider this.

Internationally recognized safety standards for long term exposure to microwave radiation start to raise concerns around the 100mW power level. Certainly, placing a 600mW cell phone directly against your head in service for long periods of time qualifies as a potential risk in my book.

Many folks feel safer with wired headsets because of the increased distance they can hold the phone from their head while talking. This has two problems: A) Wire conducts RF energy. Even the best impedance matched coaxial cable exhibits losses over distance. While there are considerable losses along the path of a headset wire because it is not impedance matched, there may still be as much as 5-10% of the original injected signal radiated at the far end. That's 30-60mW. Still too much. B) In states such as mine that require the use of "hands free devices" while driving, it baffles me how they can classify wired headsets as hands free. Have you ever seen how much more attention it requires of the driver to keep from getting tangled in those damn wires? How much safer can that possibly be? Answer: It's not. More people probably die from distracted driving as a result of the wires than they otherwise would if they were just allowed to hold the phone.

Contrast this to BT headsets. Phone stays in your pocket or on the dash. Calls can be originated and canceled without touching or looking at the phone. The intermittent microwave power level exposure is measured on a scale 1/1000 of a standard cell phone. While not in a call the device emits it's tiny power in infrequent bursts just to make sure it's still paired with the phone. If you're still concerned, take it off between calls. They don easily enough.

And if none of this has in any way changed your paranoia of BT headsets, you should just throw the phone away and be done with it, crawl into a lead lined bunker stocked with only organically grown foods to last the rest of your life and exist until you die.

I prefer to live.

Last edited:
so are you saing there are fewer microwaves with a blue tooth then with a wired head set?

As an RF engineer with access to some of the most sophisticated test equipment in the world, I can say beyond any doubt the RF conduction to the earpiece of a standard wired headset is far greater than the emmission of any BT headset by a magnitude of at least 30, UNLESS wired headset makers were to start adding those heavy ferrite RF shunts like the ones we see on some USB cables, video monitor cables, notebook power supply cables, etc. Not likely you'll see those any time soon. They'd make the wires even more cumbersome than they already are.

Radio Shack sells the ferrite shunts in raw form if you're paranoid enough to want to add them to the wires yourself.

Cheers.

Last edited:
anyone want to trade a ferrite shunt for a bluetooth head seat let me know

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back