bluetooth head set/ any concerns?

perris said:
anyone want to trade a ferrite shunt for a bluetooth head seat let me know
LOL! I'll take that deal. Let me know when that modified headset gets too heavy. I'll sell your BT back to you cheap. :)

perris said:
actually, I believe my wired head set has sheilded rf cables , cause the cable is fatter then most,

have a look, tell me what you see

warning, pdf
Nope. Just a fat cord. Take the mic casing, make it about twice as big on all sides, put one on the cord just behind the plug and one less than 1/2" (or 1cm) from the base of the earpiece and you'll get some idea of what's needed to isolate the RF from your head using that headset.

o2d said:
Nope. Just a fat cord. Take the mic casing, make it about twice as big on all sides, put one on the cord just behind the plug and one less than 1/2" (or 1cm) from the base of the earpiece and you'll get some idea of what's needed to isolate the RF from your head using that headset.
I contacted plantronics and told them to make one up for me

they haven't gotten back to me, probably cuz it's sunday...but I told them who I am, so I expect this to become a priority for their company...they wouldn't want to suffer the wrath of me, that's 4 certain

so I'm not making any phone calls till they get back to me with my prototype

perris said:
I contacted plantronics and told them to make one up for me

they haven't gotten back to me, probably cuz it's sunday...but I told them who I am, so I expect this to become a priority for their company...they wouldn't want to suffer the wrath of me, that's 4 certain

so I'm not making any phone calls till they get back to me with my prototype
Wouldn't it just be easier to go to Radio Shack, drop $2.00 on a couple of ferrites and clamp them on yourself?

o2d said:
Wouldn't it just be easier to go to Radio Shack, drop $2.00 on a couple of ferrites and clamp them on yourself?
I am perris, I can get plantronics to do it for me, if they do, they will then send to me residuals for all the extra marketing play they will get for being the first to do this

I will share residual checks with you for your good information too.

actually, I'm not kidding in this;

whether or not the RF is any concern, a company would do well to market a headset that they demonstrated had less RF then other companies

other companies would follow suit, but it would be a GREAT marketing strategy

and no kidding, I really did get in touch with plantronics, and I really do expect a dialog with them by the end of next week

perris said:
I am perris, I can get plantronics to do it for me, if they do, they will then send to me residuals for all the extra marketing play they will get for being the first to do this

I will share residual checks with you for your good information too.

and if I get residual checks I will not take any of the money the mafia owes me for being a week late and 50 dollars short with his vital information

Okay. If you say so. I'll take a piece of those royalties. Who am I to say we shouldn't profit from media generated paranoia and mass hysteria? PM me with your real contact info and credentials. This could get interesting.

I will pm you when they start the dialogue with me, you will be technical advisor

as all are witness here at osnn, I am here by obligated to include you in any monetary renumeration recieved for this EXCELLANT marketing strategium we have created on this thread

(strategium= a word I have just invented as we speak, add it to your ms spell check)

Evil Marge said:
Ah but a name is a word so nah :lick:
ok, you win

but I will now use the name as a word from hence forward

add it to your spell check

perris said:
ok, you win

but I will now use the name as a word from hence forward

add it to your spell check
Already have,just for you :beard:

o2d said:
RF conduction to the earpiece of a standard wired headset is far greater than the emmission of any BT headset by a magnitude of at least 30,

At what frequencies? Typical radiated and conducted emissions from mircoprocessor based systems run in the 30-200Mhz range. That is a "relatively harmless" frequency range in terms of tissue damage. The higher the frquency the higher the damage potential.

You're right. 30-200MHz VHF frequencies are considered harmless, even UHF up to about 800MHz. Then you enter the gray area. All discussion here is in the 2.4GHz neighborhood, microwave.

ok, plantronics contacted me as expected, they told me that the head set is sheilded but doesn't use ferrite

they are taking the suggestion under advisement btw, they even mentioned the marketing value of a head set like this

I want to ask if they've tested the amount of microwaves that passes the "sheilding" to the speaker on their head piece and what that value is

The headset cable is shielded, maybe. That's one reason it's heavier than most. If the phones themselves were perfectly shielded and the RF energy leaked only to the inner conductors and the shielding was 100% then and only then could they legitimately promote the headsets as RF isolating. Of course none of these conditions are true and at these frequencies, the shield itself IS the RF conductor. Only ferrites around the entire cable can shunt the RF from traveling up the cable.

One thing I have been thinking about since the stread started, however, is the size of the ferrites. At 30-200 MHz they're fairly large as you might find on USB cables. At 2.4GHz though they can probably be about the size of the mic casing or smaller and still be effective. This is doable. But more importantly, it's marketable.

nice link, well done;

Corded Mobileheadsets: The independent studies have shown that SAR readings at the head are virtually zero when a corded mobile headset is used.

Wireless and cordless headset systems: Plantronics now offers a number of cordless and wireless headsets and headset systems that carry their own power supplies, and consequently, questions have been raised about possible RF emissions. These models include our family of Bluetooth mobile headsets and our cordless and wireless headset systems. Plantronics has also commissioned SAR testing for these products, and again the findings show that the SAR levels are virtually zero.

so the question is when they say "virtually zero", what is virtually zero to them?

and when they say that wireless and wired headsets are both "virtually zero", which is more "virtually zero" then the other?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back