Blue Screen Memory Dumps/Stop Errors

D

Dick

I am getting memory dumps with the following errors in the XP Home Event Viewer.

"DCxxMJPG video encoder initialization failed" & "Boot start or system start driver (DCxxMJPG) failed to load"! I also get an occasional "True Vector (part of ZoneAlarm firewall)" error!

For a short period, the "DCxxMJPG" error kept occuring repeatedly when I scrolled to a certain point on a particular (not all) web page. It appears that defragging, disk error checking & cleaning up my system drive helps to minimize the dumps - but doesn't eliminate the problem.

Can some one explain what's happening here & how to eliminate the dumps/stops?

Only things I could find about DCxxmjpg seem to be related to Pinnacle Video capture card drivers. Do you have such a card? Seems there are problems quite frequently.
Also rightclick MyComputer icon - properties - advanced - startup and recovery - settings - system errors - untick 'automatically restart'.
The next time the error occurs you will get a blue screen. Write down the informaton on it.

Hi YoYo, Thanks for the reply. I do have the Pinnacle DC10 card. I've since disabled it but I'm still getting (blue screen) shutdowns so it apperently isn't the only issue here.

Problem is I don't know what to do with what I write down (mostly "greek to me" numbers, not plainly stated errors) from the blue screen. Also, the errors change nearly every time it shuts down.

The last time it shut down, it told me run the driver verifier. I'm now wading through that subject to see where it takes me.

If I reply with the "greek numbers" can you interpret them?

DSOD

I think the only solution is to put in your XP CD and do a "repair" to the installation. This should solve BSOD failures.

A repair installation will never cure faulty drivers or bad hardware.

Dick, just post the 'greek' numbers and we will see what we can do.

YoYo, Here's some greek error messages to consider!

"STOP" (of course) then:

0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xBF863509, 0xF2234B04, 0x0000000)

Win 32K.sys - address BF863509 base at BF800000, date stamp 3D6DE5E5

The last time it crashed, it burped out:

0x000000C5 (0x001801D8, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x8053CBB1)

And it added the line "Run driver verifier"!

The "driver verifier manager" in XP looks powerful, but I don't yet understand how to apply it to analyze or fix the problem. Typical of Microsoft instructions; they talk about a lot of things, but in the end result say very little that's of much practical use.

YoYo, I've been fumbling my way through the Driver Verifier exercise to see what it turns up. I tried a driver check & got this (blue screen) notice when it rebooted.

"IO System verification error in: GEARAspiWDM.sys (WDM driver error 235)"! Also, another line with: "(GEARAspiWDM.sys+1871@F76CE871)"!

I check Windows XP for this file in the System32 > driver files folder. It does appear in there.

In my ignorance of how the Verifier is supposed to be used, I presume this may suggest a system driver file problem or corruption. I wonder if deleting & reinstalling that driver would help?

Guess it's worth a try. But don't delete the driver, uninstall it. Seems it belongs to dvdxcopy. (There is a new version just released, btw.)

Still looking for additional information. I'll post back.

Thanks again for the help YoYo,

I also did a search on the errant file & found that it's part of DVDxCopy - with some supporting information that I haven't yet read.

Did the rest of the greek make any sense to you?

For those still following this thread who are also having driver problems, try the Driver Verifier Manager. It can be very helpful in sorting out what drivers are creating problems.

As I understand it - all 2000 & XP installations already have it. Go to "Run" type "verifier.exe" & hit go. Suggest you go to Microsoft web site to find ?unclear instructions? on how to use it. Be very careful too. It can lock up your system but you can usually work your way out of locks by using F8 > Use Last Working or System Restore options.

Using it, I was able to locate two drivers that weren't playing nice. Then do a Google search for that driver to try to find out how to deal with it. The verifier doesn't help at all in that regard - it only helps to identify the "bad actor".

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back