blue screen, and reboot in seconds

moming

OSNN Junior Addict
My laptop (Thinkpad T43), which has many problems, recently encountered another error. When I am using the computer, it always suddenly get a blue screen, with error information, and before I can read the information, the system will reboot automatically in a few seconds. I used sfc /scannow and nothing was detected. I also used my anti-virus program, CA’a eTrust, and detected no virus. I sent it to the repair center, and they said no error found with the hardware. It’s really annoying. I checked the system event log and below is what I found, which might be related information:

[FONT=&quot]The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000007f (0x00000008, 0x80042000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000). [/FONT][FONT=&quot]A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini061206-01.dmp.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Please kindly help me. Thank you![/FONT]

I forgot to mention that the my laptop has been sent to the repair center before and they changed the motherboard and the wireless network card. but this time they said all hardwares are OK. I still feel suspecious. But anyway, what's wrong with this stupid thing.

First and foremost, download the latest drivers for all your pc components (do a Windows Update AND download manufacturer updates) which includes audio/video/network/mobo.

Download and run http://www.memtest86.com to see if the problem is caused by memory issues.

fimchick: actually i think the "first and foremost" thing he should do is this:

moming: first off go to the Control Panel, and double click on System (or if you have My Computer shown on your desktop, right click that and select properties). Then, in the System Properties window, click on the Advanced tab. in the advanced tab you will see 2 sections for sets of settings, one for System Startup, and the other for System Failure (which also has a sub-section titled Write Debugging information). in the System Failure part, you will see 3 optional check-boxes..... "Write an event to the system log", "Send an Administrative Alert", and "automatically restart". Uncheck the box for Automatically Restart. Then, if and when the BSOD shows up again, it won't restart automatically.

And just so we get this out of the way for when you do get it again..... when the blue screen comes up, there will be a part near/at the bottom that says "Stop: **************". write the stop error number down (usually starts with either 0x0, 0x1, or 0xC.... but most commonly 0x0), and post that number here.

Edit: boy do i feel like an idiot....... didn't notice you already wrote the stop error down. hmm.... let's see...... only one i could find was 0x1-----7E.... didn't see 7F. the description for 7E was:
A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues. Check Event Viewer (EventVwr.msc) for additional information.

Last edited:
thank you so much all. I will bring the laptop to the repair center for memory checking. the memory didn't pass the computer's own diagnostic fool.

will keep you posted.

So I have opened the dump file. please see below: what does it mean? Is it a software error or hardware? thank you!!

Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 6.6.0003.5
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Loading Dump File [C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini061406-01.dmp]
Mini Kernel Dump File: Only registers and stack trace are available

Symbol search path is: *** Invalid ***
* Symbol loading may be unreliable without a symbol search path. *
* Use .symfix to have the debugger choose a symbol path. *
* After setting your symbol path, use .reload to refresh symbol locations. *
Executable search path is:
* Symbols can not be loaded because symbol path is not initialized. *
* The Symbol Path can be set by: *
* using the _NT_SYMBOL_PATH environment variable. *
* using the -y <symbol_path> argument when starting the debugger. *
* using .sympath and .sympath+ *
Unable to load image ntoskrnl.exe, Win32 error 2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ntoskrnl.exe
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for ntoskrnl.exe
Windows XP Kernel Version 2600 (Service Pack 2) UP Free x86 compatible
Product: WinNt, suite: TerminalServer SingleUserTS
Kernel base = 0x804d7000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0x805531a0
Debug session time: Wed Jun 14 05:11:03.843 2006 (GMT-7)
System Uptime: 0 days 1:03:46.421
* Symbols can not be loaded because symbol path is not initialized. *
* The Symbol Path can be set by: *
* using the _NT_SYMBOL_PATH environment variable. *
* using the -y <symbol_path> argument when starting the debugger. *
* using .sympath and .sympath+ *
Unable to load image ntoskrnl.exe, Win32 error 2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ntoskrnl.exe
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for ntoskrnl.exe
Loading Kernel Symbols
..............................................................................................................................................................................
Loading User Symbols
Loading unloaded module list
Unable to load image SynTP.sys, Win32 error 2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for SynTP.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for SynTP.sys
* Bugcheck Analysis *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1000007F, {8, 80042000, 0, 0}

***** Kernel symbols are WRONG. Please fix symbols to do analysis.

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for mssmbios.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for mssmbios.sys
Probably caused by : SynTP.sys ( SynTP+50fd )

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back