Blu-Ray quality not that great on my PC

Vanquished

Mr. Bananagrabber
Political Access
Hey Everyone,
So I just purchased an LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray drive for my PC and the image quality is not what I was expecting...

I've tried PowerDVD 12 and WinDVD Pro 11 and so far WinDVD has provided a clearer image but its still not great (PS3 quality). PowerDVD quality is pretty terrible. I'm assuming that something in settings is causing the image problems but I can't figure out what it is. On PowerDVD the image is blurry (kinda looks like a water-painting) and on WinDVD the image isn't blurry but its got a lot of noise...

My Computer Specs are:

CPU: AMD Phenom II 955BE
GPU: (2) ATI 5770 in XFire
RAM: 4 x 4GB 1600mhz
PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk II 950W
MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA UD3
BD: LG WH14NS40

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have looked around the net but haven't been able to find anyone with this problem. If it's any help, Windows Media Player always looks blurry (water-color) when playing avis or mp4s, they look fine in VLC (not high quality obviously but not blurry)

Thanks,
-Vanq

If your monitor native resolution does not match the Blu Ray resolution the vid card or monitor is probably trying to inerpolate the pixels which will make the image blurry. Try setting the video card to the blu ray 1920×1080 pixel standard. If your monitor has more native pixels you will get a black border, if fewer pixels it may not work.

TV screens may have the same issue but if you are8-10 feet away the doesn't notice the blurring as badly.

Or it could be a cable issue. Make sure you use a decent HDMI cable, analog cables will produce noise or bluring.

Could be the vid card, but last I checked ATI is supposed to be the best for entertainment quality video.
Make sure your video card drivers are up to date, possibly try older ones (newest often are intended to support top of the line cards and may not work best for an older card).

My monitor is a 22 inch 1080p 1920X1080 LED AOC... I'm using a DVI cable at the moment but have used HDMI cables as well. I tried it on my DLP and it looked better, but as you said, I'm not sure if its because I'm farther back or whatever.

I had an AOC that was blurry on everything...

Make sure there's no image processing taking place. My initial guess is conversion from 24 or 30 frames to 60 frames.

I had an AOC that was blurry on everything...

Make sure there's no image processing taking place. My initial guess is conversion from 24 or 30 frames to 60 frames.
Where would I check that? Only the blu-rays are blurry though, the desktop looks fine. And other videos as well

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back