Blocked from site?

BouncingSoul

Stranger Than Fiction
Political Access
Hey all,

I don't know whats going on but for the past few days I've been unable to login to espn.com or any of its related sites (fantasy games, scores etc). I tried to get on with my roommates computer and he can connect with no problems. Now we are on the same network so it can't be anything with my router. I figure its got to be a setting in IE, a program I've recently installed or I've been banned from the site. I don't think I could be banned, I haven't done any hacking ever (woudn't even know how to start), I can't find any program that could be blocking me or any internal IE settings. Any ideas?

EDIT: It also seems somethingawful.com hates me too.

And even after deleteing cookies, etc, you still run into the same problem?

Under control Panel/Internet Options/Advanced. Any of those settings could have changed.

I restored the default settings but still not go. I'm sad.

BouncingSoul:
I mentioned the following in your System Restore thread - but thought I had better add it here also - to make sure you saw it!

In IE go to Tools, Options, Privacy, Edit and see if ESPN.com or the other sites you can not get to are listed in the Managed Web Site list and listed as blocked!

I can't find any settings that need to be changed and system restore doesn't fix anything. I think I'll reformat and see what happens. Thanks anyway though.

it could be something nasty happened to you hosts file in the windows folder.

check if espn.com is in the entry
c:\windows\systems32\drivers\etc\

open the file HOSTS with any text editor.

Great idea. Never would have thought of that on my own. Unfortunately that doesn't appear to be the problem either.

my buddy had a similar problem but with google.com .... luckily he can use google.co.uk ....

the only other thing i can think of right now is somehow the DNS cache on your pc has been corrupted. I don't really think this will work but you can try typing in a command window "ipconfig /flushdns"

you might also want to check if your DNS server got changed from something other than automatic in the TCP/IP setting....

I FIXED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this was purely a guess on my part but it worked. Seems PeerGuardian was doing the blocking. The espn links were being blocked as Disney Channel and the somethingawful links were blocked as something called nhi. I think some overzealous person at peerguardian saw disney and just blocked everything owned by them... which is probably a third of the net by now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back