• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Block Windows Updates

kcnychief

█▄█ ▀█▄ █
Political User
I know how to turn off Windows Updates in the Registry, is there a way I can grey that tab out, and only that tab (I found how to block access to all of the system properties, but that's not what I want) - without using GPO?

fitz

Woah.. I'm still here?
Staff member
Political User
try creating this reg key:

Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy Objects\LocalUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\WindowsUpdate\DisableWindowsUpdateAccess

kcnychief

█▄█ ▀█▄ █
Political User
Good idea in theory, but unfortunately that didn't help.

My PC didn't have the bolded part created, so I made the rest all the way out as Keys and then a DWORD on the end.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy Objects\LocalUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\WindowsUpdate\DisableWindowsUpdateAccess

fitz

Woah.. I'm still here?
Staff member
Political User
it's not a dword value at the end.. it's a key.. the "DisableWindowsUpadteAccess" should be the key will just the null (default) string value in the key

kcnychief

█▄█ ▀█▄ █
Political User
j79zlr - thanks for the list, I'll check it out.

After some fiddling, I did find it and it worked...woo!

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\WindowsUpdate]
"DisableWindowsUpdateAccess"=dword:00000001

whats wrong with disabling the two services and locking users out of services.msc?

Administrators could run services.msc and enable temporarily.

kcnychief

█▄█ ▀█▄ █
Political User
Good idea in theory, but unfortunately that didn't help.

My PC didn't have the bolded part created, so I made the rest all the way out as Keys and then a DWORD on the end.

Basically what I did was some googling around DisableWindowsUpdateAccess and was eventually able to find it. Thanks for the tip fitzy.

I have the long list of GP registry entries on my site, http://j79zlr.com/gphome.php

http://j79zlr.com/gphome.php#WindowsUpdate

This list is pre SP2 though, I believe there are a few things that need to be added.
Great reference there, will definitely bookmark it :)

whats wrong with disabling the two services and locking users out of services.msc?

Administrators could run services.msc and enable temporarily.
Was looking for as little restriction as possible. Kind of a long story which I don't feel like telling, but this is all I wanted to do and I have now done it, so it's all good :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pdawgintown