Block Windows Updates

kcnychief

█▄█ ▀█▄ █
Political User
I know how to turn off Windows Updates in the Registry, is there a way I can grey that tab out, and only that tab (I found how to block access to all of the system properties, but that's not what I want) - without using GPO?

fitz

Woah.. I'm still here?
Staff member
Political User
try creating this reg key:

Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy Objects\LocalUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\WindowsUpdate\DisableWindowsUpdateAccess

kcnychief

█▄█ ▀█▄ █
Political User
Good idea in theory, but unfortunately that didn't help.

My PC didn't have the bolded part created, so I made the rest all the way out as Keys and then a DWORD on the end.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy Objects\LocalUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\WindowsUpdate\DisableWindowsUpdateAccess

fitz

Woah.. I'm still here?
Staff member
Political User
it's not a dword value at the end.. it's a key.. the "DisableWindowsUpadteAccess" should be the key will just the null (default) string value in the key

kcnychief

█▄█ ▀█▄ █
Political User
j79zlr - thanks for the list, I'll check it out.

After some fiddling, I did find it and it worked...woo!

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\WindowsUpdate]
"DisableWindowsUpdateAccess"=dword:00000001

whats wrong with disabling the two services and locking users out of services.msc?

Administrators could run services.msc and enable temporarily.

kcnychief

█▄█ ▀█▄ █
Political User
Good idea in theory, but unfortunately that didn't help.

My PC didn't have the bolded part created, so I made the rest all the way out as Keys and then a DWORD on the end.

Basically what I did was some googling around DisableWindowsUpdateAccess and was eventually able to find it. Thanks for the tip fitzy.

I have the long list of GP registry entries on my site, http://j79zlr.com/gphome.php

http://j79zlr.com/gphome.php#WindowsUpdate

This list is pre SP2 though, I believe there are a few things that need to be added.
Great reference there, will definitely bookmark it :)

whats wrong with disabling the two services and locking users out of services.msc?

Administrators could run services.msc and enable temporarily.
Was looking for as little restriction as possible. Kind of a long story which I don't feel like telling, but this is all I wanted to do and I have now done it, so it's all good :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaitlitings