Block ONE website?

forcer

OSNN Senior Addict
is it possible in windows to block access to ONE website?

thanks

Yes, it is a pretty simple task. You can use the Windows 'Hosts' file to accomplish this, here's how:

In Windows XP, the hosts file is found here:

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts

Once you have found the hosts file, right click it and select Properties. Uncheck the "Read-Only" attribute (if checked). Click OK.

Double click the 'Hosts' file and select "Notepad" from the list of programs to open it with.

Once you have the hosts file open in Notepad, you will see an entry such as:

127.0.0.1 localhost

To block a certain web page from loading, add the following:

127.0.0.1 www.webpage.com

Your Hosts file will now look like this:

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 www.webpage.com

Add as many web addresses as you like in the same fashion.

Once you are finished, go up to 'File' and click 'Save'.

The web pages listed in your 'Hosts' file should be blocked from access. It may be necessary for you to reboot your computer for these changes to take effect.

Hi,

If you do not already have a hosts file, you might have to create it. The defalut file is hosts.sam, but you don't want to edit this file. If no file exists, you will have to create one called just hosts (not hosts.txt)

After following binoyxj steps above, you can then run the command nbtstat -R which will flush any cache and re-read the hosts file

This is a pretty neat little hack to block access to a site. Although if someone knows how the host file works it can be easily be bypassed.

I would suggest making the change at your router level (password protected) which would make it harder to get around. Some routers have a "parental controls" option that allows you to setup a block list. Or otherwise, you add a firewall rule to prevent packets from passing to the specified IP address.

In Internet Explorer.

Goto - Tools - Internet Options - Security - Click restricted sites.

Click the sites button and add the sites you want to block with the URL Name

The hosts file is a great suggestion, but like y'all said, it can be easily bypassed.
The IE option is good as well, and can be undone in a moment or two.
The router is definately the best way to go. Make sure and change the username and password of the router to something other than the default.

Sure setting router for filtering sites is the best solution if one knows it...........

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back