Blinking HDD light???

Krux

Nissan Powered
Every computer hooked up to my home network seems to have this "problem"

When the computer is idle or not the network usage is always at 0.01% and my hard drive light blinks on and off every second or so. It doesn't affect performance that I can see but it does bother me that something is constantly writing to my hard drive is there some service or something that is causing this?

It may just be background activity or inaccurate reporting of the state of your network card ;)

To see whats going across the wire use a packet sniffer such as PMON from analogx.

To check what process or processes are writing to disk why not monitor them using task manager. On the processes tab set the option to monitor I/O Writes Bytes.

attachment.php

alright ill scope it out when I get home in about 30 minutes. but is there some reason why this would happen to every computer on the network? (5)

Well background disk activity on a 2000 or XP system may not be too unusual, especially with XP as it likes to index and re-arange file.

For the network again a few things come to mind but you will soon spot whats going on with a packet capture if its a chatty system or protocol (or background traffic).

ok so I dled Pmon but I don't know what I'm looking at the same two IP's just keep poping up sending info back and forth......

Originally posted by Krux
this is what it shows

Save the trace and e-mail it to me, ill take a peek.

Use "active ports" to see what process is holding port 2869 open and that will give us some indication of that it is.

Networks blink all the time. What you see are probably broadcast packages of different kinds.
- Windows checkin the netowork for nearby computers.
- DHCP broadcasts
- Router broadcasts

Any ICQ or similar will also send packets from time to time.

Originally posted by Enyo
Save the trace and e-mail it to me, ill take a peek.

Use "active ports" to see what process is holding port 2869 open and that will give us some indication of that it is.

not to sound like an idiot or anything but, how would I go about doing this? :)

Originally posted by Zedric
Networks blink all the time. What you see are probably broadcast packages of different kinds.
- Windows checkin the netowork for nearby computers.
- DHCP broadcasts
- Router broadcasts

Any ICQ or similar will also send packets from time to time.

the computer that the info came from has nothing like ICQ or AIM installed or even running.

Originally posted by Krux
not to sound like an idiot or anything but, how would I go about doing this? :)

From PMON use File Save As and then e-mail the saved file.

It may be the "alerter service", still checking.

Krux, do you use internet connection sharing or the XP Firewall?

2869 is used by ICS/ICF (ALG service)

Classically it has also been suggested the following services play a hand:

SSDP Discovery (Should be disabled)
Upnp (Should be disabled)
Alerter (Should be set to manual)

so turn those services off and put the other on manual?

I couldn't find upnp on the service list, was that a typo or is it hidden or something?

so you think its my LiteOn DVD-rom thats making it blink like that?
but that doesn't explain the laptop hdd light doing the same thing.....

Those addresses look like your router and some of your network computers chatting.

Port 2869 looks familiar... Something I installed recently. Damn can't remember.

Well when i unplugged my liteon drive the blinking stopped.....used the reg edit after pluging the cdrw back in and it too stopped the blinking led.

This topic has been well covered in the shuttle forums in the past...its not a liteon thing either.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back