Blarrgh, within 10 seconds of booting up cpu usage cycling between 30-100%

N

Nuts

I can't seem to find the culprit but I know I definetly should not be experiencing this under a 1.4ghz system with the things I have running during startup. Can anyone help me? It's totally killing explorer, whatever it is, like trying to run XP on a 300mhz system with 64megs ram, not a 1.4ghz system with 512megs ram.

Can you give us a clue as to what applications / tools you have running at startup or automatically, like antivirus, firewalls etc. please

TOK

I'd like to take a screen shot of the task manager, but I'm not entirely certain how to go about doing that in xp, I know that in old windows you could simply do a printscreen and paste the result into mspaint, but xp doesn't have mspaint so I'm not sure how to do this.

one thing I just noticed is that the biggest spikes, ie up to 100% usage are coming when I initially open a webpage or microsoft outlook. When I do either of these actions the usage spikes to 100% for a short time, then goes back to alternating between 0 and 30% usage with a bare minimum of things running. (I did get rid of some spyware/ hack program that had installed itself on me computer and that god rid of some of the slowdowns)

ok it also seems to be involved with anythign that actively access the network/internet. ie., incoming im messages, even w/in the same window cause the spike, as do sending said im messages, ie, each message w/in one window.

Originally posted by firehawk
It works the same way in XP. Paint is under accessories.

not under mine, I installed the plus pack awhile back and now all that stuff is gone for some reason
whats the name of the mspaint .exe file so I can search for it?

Originally posted by andre9540
you might have proccesor schelduling set wrong

yeah the thing is this just started happening recently, like yesterday and I haven't had this particular problem in the past several monthes of running xp. I tried going back to a system restore point in case something had been installed w/o my knowledge or some shit but that doesn't appear to help

well when I open something like outlook or ie, vsmon is responsible for the 100% cpu utilization

yeah checked that out, but again, it never bleedin well used to do that, and my system still fancies cycling erratically through cpu usages.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back