BlackICE Defender vs. Sygate Personal Firewall

E

ECO

What are the pros and cons of these firewall software and your final opinion of which one keeps your system more secure from intrusion?

there are only cons to black ice, it fails all third party tests, za and tiny pass...za and tiny are free

There is a new version of the BlackIce Defender now. The version 3.5 (old one was 2.9 I believe) have some very interesting that the other 2 firewalls do not have.

I prefer only Norton products (my opinion ) but my recommandation is BlackICE Defender , the last version sure :D

Originally posted by dealer
there are only cons to black ice, it fails all third party tests, za and tiny pass...za and tiny are free

Can you be more specific on the things BlackICE fails at, and where the test was performed?

Also, in my opinion, BlackICE and other programs like it that have an Intrusion Detect System where all incoming (and I think outgoing too) packets are anaylzed individually, is a more robust security tool.

Originally posted by Cosmin
I prefer only Norton products (my opinion ) but my recommandation is BlackICE Defender , the last version sure :D

Yesterday I reviewed the log for Norton Personall Firewall and it showed no port scan attempts to have occured while BlackICE Defender and Sygate Personal Firewall reported many of them and successfully blocked them all.

BlackICE was merely a logger when I tried it. Norton's firewall is AtGuard with extra crap and well its not AtGuard anymore. I would suggest Outpost or AtGuard if you can find it.

blackice

i have not used the new version, but i did use the old version. i liked it a lot, then i read a review @ zdnet.com (you can search for it, it's maybe 5 months old?). apparently blackice is fine if you install on a clean system. but if something was there prior to its installation, it maybe still be there happily chugging along. that is the test it failed and tiny(kerio) and zonealarm passed. perhaps this is fixed in the new version, i can not say.

Sygate is a nice personal firewall bottom line!

I have had ZA 3.0 and it didn't work worth beans. I'm very happy with Sygate now and will continue to use their firewall. Trust me you will like it

Athlon AMD XP 1700 1.47 GHz(Tweaked!)
256 PC-2100DDR
MSI K7T266 PRO 2(Nice MOB too!)
Lian-Li Case PC-7USB(Killer Case!)
13.6GB 7200RPM IBM Hard Drive
30.0GB 7200RPM Western Digital Hard Drive
3COM NIC Card
Windows XP Home
32MB ATI Radeon SDRAM/DDR
Sygate Personal Firewall
Norton Anti Virus 2002
Connection: AT & T Cable

norton and blackice are useless junk,

take the firewall tests, all of them, heres my results
FIREWALL TESTS
heres my results
3749765559.jpg

Originally posted by P-R
norton and blackice are useless junk,

take the firewall tests, all of them, heres my results
I use Norton Internet Security and here is my result.
pcflank.jpg

After that nothing happened(the test didn't finish). When I tried to run the test again, the page could not be displayed.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back