BitUnlocker unveiled.

Erbmaster

OSNN Veteran Addict
This massive security hole should have the security conscious on their toes, and fast!

Word arrives from The Electronic Frontier Foundation that a crack team of researchers - including the Foundation's own Seth Schoen - have discovered a gaping security flaw in everyday disk encryption technologies, including Microsoft's BitLocker as well as TrueCrypt, dm-crypt, and Apple's FileVault....
...If a machine is screen-locked or left in sleep or hibernation mode, Schoen and his cohorts proclaim, an attacker can circumvent disk encryption simply by powering the machine down and quickly re-booting to an external hard drive.
This security hole is largely dependant on the DRAM you use.
As data is retained for up to a minute after powerdown in some circumstances, the retained keys are easy pickings following a cold-boot.

BitUnlocker in action

Source :- The Register

Last edited:
you posting stories so you can access the employees section again :p

you posting stories so you can access the employees section again :p

Far from it :p...been there done that. Still have the T-Shirt somewhere :D (although it's now faded and reads 'XP-erience or NTFS.org' or something like that)

I did feel this needs exposure however. It's a pretty big story, and well....I didn't see it posted on the main page.

If you don't like people posting stories in the 'News Submission' forum I figure it's a flawed concept from idea to production, yet strangely the section still exists. So as such I'll use it ;)

Think of it as me making your job easier today, oh, and with that in mind; you're welcome :p

Having been messing with Bitlocker for enterprise deployment recently, I know we are safe as the PC has had it's sleep mode disabled.

But I guess thre is that period where the machine will be locked before hibernating.

im too busy atm to post stories, moving everything over to 64bit, and i have given you credit on the front page ;)

I was amazed to see DRAM hold data for 10 mins lying on a table when cooled tho :eek:
Maybe we'll see gangs of hit 'n' run DRAM thieves with cans of compressed air!

im too busy atm to post stories, moving everything over to 64bit, and i have given you credit on the front page ;)
Was only pulling yer leg, hence all my emoticon spammage :D
Thanks for posting it tho /fluffle

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back