BitTorrent slowing down?

FreeWilly

OSNN Senior In Progress
Hey dudes and dudets......

I was just wondering if anyone else has this problem....
I have been using BT for quite a while now and I have
a 512k connection, so most of the new torrents
downloads roughly about 52kBs or so.

I havent changed anything..but for the past week,
I only see the downloads bordering around 20 - 35kB
max and also fluctuate a whole lot. This all
are highly famous torrents (ex. some famous
tv episode maybe) which have loads of seeds
and leechers.

Anyone else having problems? I have tried with
BitTornado , Azureus and ABC but still the same.
When i do FTP downloads, they still go to 52 kBs
or so. So i know its not the torrent software or
my DSL connection. Any idea whats causing it?

in general, it's the nature of bittorrent that causes it to act this way. Sometimes it can be caused by not uploading enough that other peers choke your connection.. etc.. etc..

Damn, mine have been the opposite, my speeds have sky rocketed. From averaging 100-300kbs, now I find it hard not to find one that gives me 500-600kbs, at least for a little while during the dl.

I have the opposite problem. I'm finding it hard finding torrents that dont try and rape me at 1200kb/sec upload rate, have to freaking cap the things at 250kb/sec.

so to all you out there that are raping me STOP FREAKING RAPING ME :D

there has been a big movement in the force lately so that would possibly lower speeds for a while

It could depend on where you are as well. Apparently in B.C. (vancouver in particular) Shaw Cable has started using Ellacoya packet shaping switches. Because of the packet shaping technology they are able to single out BT and other P2P connections and leave the rest of your internet experience alone, therefore in theory you won't see any real change when say browsing the web, or downloading from a web page/ftp. They have of course denied this and I have no evidence and am not overly familiar with the tecnology except what I have read on some other forums/mailing lists etc. Just thought I would throw that out there as a possiblity, if Shaw has implemented such a technology then I could see other ISP's following suite soon.

James

This can be caused by many factors. fitz has already mentioned a very likely cause. Other questions could also be ...

1. Is your client up-to-date and does it support the most recent tracker features?
2. Is your ISP throttling the BT ports? and if so ... have you taken steps to change your default ports?
3. Are you uploading enough? And if you think you are, have you tweaked your choker options if you are able to?
4. Are you uploading too much? You should cap your upload at 90% your total upstream. Anymore, and the ACKs are drowned out. Until UDP tracker protocols are popular and clients implement it, this will continue to be a problem. So far I think the XBT tracker and client both support UDP as well as Azureus, but thats about it. Even then, it would still be wise to cap your upload at some point.
5. Have you waited a few days? This could just be temporary and your ISP could just be doing some work.

My speeds have not changed up or down but my ISP is disconnecting me about once every hour if I'm on a torrent.

I have always had to cap my upload speed or BT uses all my upload bandwidth. I don't mind 1:1 but when I'm doing 2 or more up for every 1 down and can't even surf I get pissed.

Your ISP throttling the BT port is one of the best possibilities. Have you tried changing your port number? Also, have you been using the same tracker lately, or different ones?

Im using BitTornado for 80% of the time......and to my
knowledge when I go under preferences, i see option
from 10000 - 60000 with Randomize option ticked.

It should mean my ports are always randomized right
or is it not? I hope so.. :p

Thanks for the continued support on this topic. Oh BTW,
Im actually in Australia.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back