Bits (backgound intelligent transfer service)

S

senecakit

Just wondered if anyone has come across this before, and if anyone has any advice thanks.
Installed WinXP pro version, install went smooth as silk, and everything was going hunky dory for about three days.
Rebooted the machine, but it took 3 or 4 minutes to allow me to do anything, it booted to the welcome screen and windows opened, but I couldnt open programs or menus for this time.
Anyways, thought it was a bad install, Fdisked the partition and started from scratch again.
Another few days pass, then the same thing happened arghhhhh.
Checked the error logs in the admin options, and the recurring error was "Unable to start the service *Background intelligent transfer service*". (BITS)
Next step, I disabled the bits, and now there is no problem. Weird.
I read that the BITS service utilises idle network time to transfer data, and I'm not sure what that means, I'm not on a network, and I'm a humble 56k modem user.
Anyways, disabled the BITS service, but as a consequence, in the error logs I now get the message
"DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service BITS with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{4991D34B-80A1-4291-83B6-3328366B9097}"
So, with the BITS disabled, DCOM ( I've no idea what that is) cant load properly.
Ideas anyone? Is Bits or DCOM essential ?
Any help appreciated.
Jim.

Thanks for the reply Max, I'm beginning to wish I'd never heard of BITS either.:D
Latest update, instead of disabling the BITS service, I've set it to start manually.
Since doing that, no more DCOM errors, and the machine is working fine, until the next problem occurs.
:rolleyes:
As to the BITS service itself, read the page you quoted above, all seems a bit strange to me, If your on a network, fine, but I can't see the use for the service to non network users, and don't see why it's enabled by default.
Once again, thanks for taking the time to reply.
Jim.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back