BIOS Update

Hipster Doofus

Good grief Charlie Brown
So tell me please......How the hell do I flash my bios now? mm tell me.
I have a MSI board & go to the update section of their site & download the latest upgrade. It usually upgrades from within windows, reboots & it is flashed. Well no more. Now I have to make a dos boot floppy. Only one problem, I'm running NTFS. grrrrr
Is there a way aroung this besides going back to FAT32 just to flash the bios. :confused: & :mad:

They don't believe in customer feedback either. double grrrrr

well one way is to take your cloths off, put on a robe and open it in front of your BIOS.
did you try using a Win98 startup disk to get to dos???

is there a reason u need to update your BIOS? cuz dis is one of those "dun mess with it if it ain't broke" type things. u can seriously *uck up your comp if u mess up the BIOS...

I say use a Windows 98 Start up disk to get to DOS, from there on, do what you usually would do.

Agreed, I flashed my BIOS yesterday, i'm on NTFS. I just copied the needed files to a 98 boot disk then flashed from dos prompt. Too easy.

Originally posted by LilBlueDawg
is there a reason u need to update your BIOS? cuz dis is one of those "dun mess with it if it ain't broke" type things. u can seriously *uck up your comp if u mess up the BIOS...

I agree with LilBlueDawg to a degree. I t is rare to screw up when flashing the BIOS if you follow the instructions on "Flashing The Bios".

But as LilBlueDawg asked, why do you want/need to flash the BIOS???

I've got an MSI board + using NTFS and the last time I flashed my my bios the prog I dowload from msi made a bootable disk didnt need a 98 disk or anything.

Originally posted by rettahc
I've got an MSI board + using NTFS and the last time I flashed my my bios the prog I dowload from msi made a bootable disk didnt need a 98 disk or anything.

There ya go. :)

I agree with jumpy except for the win 98 boot floppy bit . You can get a DrDos boot floppy to flash the bios which is much safer because it doesn't have all the drivers and stuff that cloggs up your ram. I have done mine numerous times on an old system with NTFS with no probs.
You can get DrDos boot floppy here
http://www.bootdisk.com/
just download the DrDos 7.xx file , then execute it , it'll explain everything.

On another note I've currently got a Gigabyte GA7VRX board. Brilliant for dummies like me with limited experience on updating the bios, cause all you do is update the bios over the net using their bios flash utility !! too easy.

Originally posted by Arthurking On another note I've currently got a Gigabyte GA7VRX board. Brilliant for dummies like me with limited experience on updating the bios, cause all you do is update the bios over the net using their bios flash utility !! too easy. [/B]

That's how MSI used to be, just load the update prog and connect to the net, now they make you do it the hard way:mad:

Thanks for the feedback people. Now I can see that it can be done even though it is NTFS. Something that might help then is to set the floppy to boot first. :rolleyes:

Why do I want to do it?........because I can. :D
And it will give me usb boot support. :D :D :D

I just updated my BIOS. Gigabyte rocks, you use a little program to download it, activate it in Windows, then restart. Then my pc wouldn't boot to windows, but I tinker with settings and fix all. Now my mobo supports up to AMD XP something high :)

Comparing with my old one this is what I got>

New - APM version = BIOS currentlysupports latest version 1.2
OLD - APM version = APM BIOS not installed. It has been replaced by ACPI

New - BIOS Manufacturer = Phoenix
OLD - BIOS Manufacturer = Award Modular BIOS v6. 00PG

New - BIOS ID = Unknown
Old - BIOS ID = 12/31/2001-i850-W83627-6A69SM4DC-00

New - BIOS Date = 10/03/02
Old - BIOS Date = 12/31/01

New - BIOS Signon =
Old - BIOS Signon = W6545MS V1.4 123101 11:51:29

go to bootdisk.com they have a download for a bios flash disk and a xp boot disk there!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back