billy gates 0wned at 2005 ces

reminds me of that BSOD

Probably forgot to put the batteries in the remote. :p
actually, I think one of his recent speeches in one of those roadshows got hit by the BSOD. :D

dreamliner77 said:
Steve Jobs just dealt with a osX crash at the mac expo, didn't he?
Leant over the desk, ficked a switch (KVM I gather) and he was using a back-up machine. Quite surprised tha Microsoft don't have back-up's prepared to be honest.ß

SPeedY_B said:
I'd hardly say he got owned.
Yeah, people tend to make a big fuss over nothing. Sh*t happens. It could happen to anyone. Oh well...

Indeed, that was proved with Jobs and the tiger demo. The media centre demo did actually work, just not via bill's remote, which could be the remote or quite simply a positioning error.

I will try and dig up the article I read on one of the guy's blogs that was actually behind the scenes with Bill and speaks freely about the problems they had before the show and during and why the problems happen.

People jump on these thing like it really matters...

Like that whole BSOD Bill got stopped them from buying that version of windows...

SPeedY_B said:
Indeed, that was proved with Jobs and the tiger demo. The media centre demo did actually work, just not via bill's remote, which could be the remote or quite simply a positioning error.
despite a small glitch with a remote control (IR) receiver, a single Media Center ran all the Media Center demos and we kept rolling despite the hiccup. According to the postmortem, it appears a 2nd IR receiver run over to Bill's seat failed, so the Media Center never got the signal. It could have been all the IR interference in the venue- cameras and plasma displays and lights, or the powered USB booster - a piece of equipment that gets a USB signal over a long-stretch. The production team also handled a small power outage exceptionally well in the minutes leading up which might have contributed. These things happen and the team pulled it out despite some obstacles out of their control.
Read more: http://blog.seanalexander.com/PermaLink,guid,586bac82-e272-44f7-a439-a3d1e6176aef.aspx

Sean Alexander is the one who came out later and did the Media Center presentations during the keynote.

Well I can say from experience that setting up demo's and functional interactive displays and such in a large venue, is a huge pain in the ass, and 100 times more difficult than any installation/setup you would normally find anywhere else. But I still find it funny when these glitches happen to the big dogs (Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Mark Tepler [Lucent], etc).

It also happens to other people, i remember when i was giving a powerpoint presentation and the windows laptop i was using at the time gave a bloody BSOD and it pissed me off to no end, because i was righ in the middle of trying to explain something exciting.

**** happens, get over it.

All I know is that this kind of thing always seems to happen to poor billy during a presentation.....thats all I was trying to point out.. :crosseyed:

The last time something like this happened was with Windows 98 (the infamous BSOD). There have been many, many MS product launches and keynotes since then that have gone by smoothly (including the last one - Bill's "Digital Entertainment Anywhere" keynote).

The difference is when it happens to a smaller company, nobody cares and life moves on. When it's Microsoft, the media jumps in like it's the end of the world. The people at MS are just humans too. :)

Attachments

• microsoft.jpg
    microsoft.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 127
I was kinda surprised that the Microsoft team didnt have a backup though

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back