biggest military computer hack of all time

tdinc

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
Just read this..:eek: crazy stuff...

British computer hacker Gary McKinnon, who committed 'the biggest military computer hack of all time',...

During his two-year quest, McKinnon broke into computers at the
Pentagon,
NASA and the Johnson Space Center as well as systems used by the U.S. army, navy and air force.

U.S. officials say he caused $700,000 worth of damage and even crippled vital defense systems shortly after the September 11 attacks.

The unemployed computer programmer is now battling extradition to the United States, where, if found guilty, he faces up to 70 years in jail and fines of up to $1.75 million. His lawyer fears he could even be sent to Guantanamo Bay.

link to story

I remember hearing about this guy back when he first got in trouble. I also like how they determine a number to put on damges. :)

How did he hack in if the Pentagon isn't connected to the Internet?

"He argues he is being made a scapegoat by U.S. authorities to deter other would-be hackers rather than address their own security flaws."
Punishing someone for crimes they committed does not make them a scapegoat. If he had been part of a big ring and they didn't bother looking for anyone else after they caught him, then he would be a scapegoat.

And then there's this: just because someone leaves their house unlocked doesn't mean you can point the finger at them after you waltzed in and took all their stuff. Not properly assigning secrecy levels to sensitive information is wrong, but it's but it's legal. What he did was both wrong and illegal. He should think about it that way.

give him a job stoping atacks, make use of his skills rather than lock them away ;)

Isn't this the guy that while looking for UFO info noticed a good number of other folks also poking around? :nervous:

Henyman said:
give him a job stoping atacks, make use of his skills rather than lock them away ;)
I don't agree,lock him up and if there's a job to be had then give it to someone who actually deserves it :s

I think we should give him a job...
What good will his skills be in jail?

Update to this story

top.brit.hacker.ap.jpg

Court backs 'Pentagon hacker' extradition to U.S.

LONDON, England (AP) -- A British court recommended Wednesday that a man be extradited to the U.S. where he is wanted for allegedly committing the largest-ever attack on the United States government computer networks -- including Army, Air Force, Navy and NASA systems.
Gary McKinnon, 40, of London, has been indicted in New Jersey and northern Virginia on charges of illegally accessing 97 computers, causing $700,000 in damage.
Judge Nicholas Evans said he was satisfied McKinnon should be sent for trial in the U.S. Home Secretary John Reid will make the final decision on extradition.
If Reid approves extradition, McKinnon will appeal to the High Court, his lawyer Karen Todner said.
"My intention was never to disrupt security, the fact that I logged on and there were no passwords means that there was no security," McKinnon said, outside the hearing at London's Bow Street Magistrates Court. "I was looking for UFOs."
McKinnon, who was arrested in 2002, has fought his extradition by claiming he could face prosecution under U.S. anti-terror laws.
The suspect is accused of hacking into U.S. government computers including a system at the Pentagon between February 2001 and March 2002.
Court records in Virginia said McKinnon caused $900,000 in damage to computers, including those of private companies, in 14 states.
In New Jersey, McKinnon was accused of hacking into a network of 300 computers at the Earle Naval Weapons Station in Colts Neck, New Jersey, and stealing 950 passwords.
The break-in -- which occurred immediately after the September 11 terrorist attacks -- shut down the whole system for a week, Evans said. The station is responsible for replenishing the Atlantic fleet's munitions and supplies.
Edward Lawson, another attorney for McKinnon, told an earlier hearing the suspect feared prosecution by a U.S. military commission, under powers introduced after the September 11 attacks.
Lawson said an "unsigned and anonymous" diplomatic note from the U.S. Embassy in London that said McKinnon would not be subject to Military Order No. 1, offered no reassurance he would be dealt with in federal courts.
Military Order No. 1 allows U.S. President George W. Bush to detain terror suspects without trial or put them before military courts.
Judge Evans said there was no "real, as opposed to fanciful, risk" of McKinnon being prosecuted under anti-terror laws, asking the suspect to accept an assurance provided by the U.S. Department of Justice.
Evans told McKinnon that in choosing to target the U.S. he had "run the risk of being prosecuted in that country."
Officials in New Jersey and Virginia must now decide where McKinnon should stand trial, Evans said.
If convicted of the charges in New Jersey, McKinnon faces a maximum sentence of five years in federal prison and a $250,000, U.S. Attorney Christopher Christie said at the time the indictment was disclosed.
Though McKinnon was able to view sensitive details about naval munitions and shipbuilding on the secure U.S. systems, he did not access classified information, an investigation found.
Copyright 2006 The Associated Press.

Vanquished said:
I think we should give him a job...
What good will his skills be in jail?
No,give it to one of the people who are living on benefits/welfare :laugh:

Mixed feelings about this - he should face "justice" wherever he hacked.... so yes extradite... but heard from interview he hardly "hacked" that the systems were so open to intrusion he was just showing them gaping security holes...

Key question - what did he do with his hack? Was there a security breach? If not I would suggest leniency as appropriate...

how is it hacking if there was no security to break through?

just like its not breaking and entering if the door is left open

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back