Big Problem!

wingman411

OSNN Senior Addict
I try to run a program and I get the busy cursor, then nothing. I check the task manager and the program is running, but not showing on the monitor. Then I try to end the process and I can't. I have to hold the start button for 6 seconds to get windows to shut down.

I had IE 7 Beta 2, but it caused problems with McAfee so I uninstalled it. Also, I upgraded to the latest ATI all in wonder radeon drivers and then uninstalled that to see if that was causing the problem. I also had defender, the beta spyware program and uninstalled it too.

I tried to do restore to an earlier time, but I forgot that I turned that off quite a while ago.

What could bee wrong and what should I do to fix it.

Thanks.

So when you run any program this happens? Sounds like an explorer.exe problem maybe.

Sometimes if I restart it doesn't happen. I notice that if I put in a DVD it happens. Should I reinstall all the ATI Media Programs?

I could reinstall IE 7 Beta 2 as I have uninstalled all the McAfee software, antivirus, privacy and firewall programs and am now using AVG free antivirus and windows firewall.

It sounds to me you may have more than one problem, I would put your Windows Cd in your drive reboot, let it try and install, and when it finds a "previous version of windows, attempt repair" select yes, and see if that fixes your problems...

I'd also go with the repair, seems to be more then one problem.

How do I do the repair? I tried putting the windwos disk in and the recovery console must not be loaded. Pleas give me step by step instuctions. Also, will I lose sp2 and all my settings?

You don't use the console. Continue going through the install as usual until it searches for a previous version. Simply select repair.

Now if the CD is pre SP2 then yes you will loose SP2, also repair simply does a few system things so you will keep your settings and files.

If you don't want to loose SP2 then I'd suggest slipstreaming SP2 into your windows CD.

I've used this site to slipstream mine but I believe there was an error in the WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU /integrate:D:\XP-CD command.

couldnt he do a system restore to an earlier date when he knows it was working?

Could try that first but I dont put any faith in system restore, tried it once, didnt work so I no longer enable it.

I now notice that it just locks up when I put in a CD or a DVD. It can't seem to read it right.

try reinstalling your ASPI drivers and your cd-rom drivers. guys, he cant do a system restore because he stated that he turned that feature off a while ago, so it stopped making registry mirrors. also, see if there are any tools you can get to clean up your registry and repair it. download adware personal and remove all malware that could be causing the problem due to a program -> malware clash / disagreement. run the scan a few times to make sure everything is out. it could also be that the autoplay feature is turned on on your cd-rom drive, try turning that off. just right click on ur cd drive in my computer, click properties, go to the auto play tab and select Take No Action from the list. if i were you, before doing any of this, except turning off the auto play feature, i'd also do a complete defrag of my system drives. sounds like a driver or a program clash with explorer. i'd also start / run / msconfig / and check all the settings there. check and make sure no services are disabled and just try to make sure all the settings are correct to the best of your knowledge.
one more thing, check device manager for any devices that are improperly installed. look particuarly at that cd-rom drive.
if i helped, you know what to do
later

Bigger problem!!! HELP ME PLEASE!

I slipped streamed sp2 with xp, and then did a repair. Now internet explorer doesn't work. It still thinks ie 7 is installed.

I tried to uninstall it, but it is not on the list. I uninstalled ie through windows add/remove windows components, and tried to reinstall ie 6 and 7, but neither work. I get a wininit.dll error on trying to start ie. Thank god for firefox or I would be totally s%^$*d.

My problem was doing the repair with ie 7 still installed. I shoud have uninstalled it first. Now neither 6 or 7 works. is there a repair for ie7?

Found this,

"Reinstalling Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview
If you want to reinstall Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview (or install a new version) you must first remove the existing Internet Explorer 7 version. You cannot install Internet Explorer 7 over itself.

Uninstalling Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview

To uninstall Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview and return to Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP

Click “Start,” and then click “Control Panel.”
Click “Add or Remove Programs.”
Check “Show Updates” at the top of the dialog box.
Scroll down the list to “Windows XP – Software Updates,” select “Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2Preview,” and then click "Change/Remove."
If "Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview" does not exist, run %windir%\$NtUninstallie7bet2p$\spuninst\spuninst.exe. You need to have "view hidden folders" enabled.", over here.

Doesn't look good. :(

that didn't work. Is there a way to do windows updates in firefox? Maybe when a final version of ie7 comes out I can download and install it again. In the mean time I can still use firefox for browsing.

The Avant browser is awsom. I don't think I need IE. It is doing 36 updates and seems super fast. I am also installing the firefox extentsion. My computer so far seems back to normal.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back