Big problem regarding the Little Green colored files...

N

nh2

I had TWO usernames.. One for playing games, and the other for Work... Cause I didn't want interference between the two domains...

BUT, I logged one day to my game acount, changed it's name, copied all the files from my work acount and deleted that acount...

When I logged on again, Caboom... !!!

Some files that came from the other acount where in Green colored and I couldn't access them... A right click on properties then advanced told me the file was encrypted... To unencrypte the file, I need authorisation... No idea how this came... No idea how to unencrypt the files...

I would appreciate any legal or maby not so legal... Cause I really need my files back...

thanks...

Damn

I have a found a few Issues using different Domains on XP myself

BUT

Your files are in 128bit encryption

There are two levels of encryption: 40-bit and 128-bit. With 40-bit encryption, there are billions of possible keys to decipher the coded information, and only one of them works. Someone intercepting the information would have to find the right key - a nearly impossible task. With 128-bit encryption, there are 300 billion trillion times as many keys as with 40-bit encryption. It is virtually impossible for an unauthorized party to find the right key, even if they are equipped with the best computers.

In a quick summary , how many years do you have spare ?

Its basically impossible unless you find a machine or machines capable of 100Ghz of processing power to work on it

:(

in short ?

So in short... I can say that windows Locked my files ? I can't even delete them for gods sake...

I read someone where that login in as the admin bypassses all encryption ?

This may help

Press F8 while booting Windows XP/2000 and then select Directory Services Restore Mode from the Safe Mode and Other Startup Options list. Logon as the local Administrator.

This seems to be what has happened to you :

Like Windows 2000, XP professional includes the Encrypting File System (EFS). Unlike Windows 2000, EFS is enabled by default, so as soon as you begin creating files with XP, they're encrypted. This is transparent to the user, although Explorer can control this behavior on a per-file or folder level. You don't need to enter the encryption key, as XP has done this for you.

XP also encrypts Cached Files, a technique that permits you to use up to 10 percent (by default) of your hard disk space to hold files that would normally be stored on a remote file share. You can then disconnect from the network, go home (or travel), and still access these files. The Windows Mirroring system will reconcile the file changes you've made with the Windows 2000 or XP file shares when you reconnect with the network. Encrypting these cached files is a great idea, as your notebook might be stolen (or if your evil genius of a son or daughter happens upon them while using your XP system).

Do what electric punk said and login as REAL Administrator , the one you originally created on install

ie.
Username = administrator
Pass = ***********

By default, the Administrator account is not displayed on the Welcome Screen. To log in to the Administrator account, press Ctrl+Alt+Del, release the Del key, and press it again, while still holding down the Ctrl+Alt keys. This will change the Welcome Screen login to the Windows 2000 style log in, where you can now type Administrator and the password for the Admin account.

You could also add the Administrator to the Welcome Screen:

Start the Registry Editor (regedit)
Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ CurrentVersion \ Winlogon \ SpecialAccounts \ UserList \
Right-click an empty space in the right pane and select New > DWORD Value
Name the new value Administrator
Double-click this new value, and enter 1 as it's Value data
Close the registry editor

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back