BIG PROBLE! Mmissing context menu in windows registry

jet67

OSNN Newbie
hi, i have lost the right click ability on all pages in IE7 (open in new tab a hand appears but does nothing happens, copy/paste/save etc nothing happens at all) but not in the menu or address bar in IE7. & some other right click feature like copy & paste in some but not all, other applications. i still have it on my desktop for example. i found a post on this site about windows registry (which im starting to think it might be after an exhaustive search) & on following that advice found that the link to what i believe to be the problem (context menu) or something similar is missing, this is what it said in the post;

How do i re-enable right click on desktop?
I have just accidently changed a setting in tweak xp to disable right click on desktop. i have tried to reenable it but i have had no look. please help

Check the registry settings for:

HKEY_CURRENT_USERS\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoViewContextMenu

Value should be 0

when i got too the 'explorer' part there was no 'NoViewContextMenu' it basically said;
(DEFAULT)
NO ACTIVE DESKTOP
NO DRIVE TYPE AUT....
NO PROPERTIES MY C....
NO SAVED SETTINGS

im wondering if this is the problem? i was tidying up the other day & i fear i may have deleted part of my registry somehow. :nervous:BIG OOPS!:dead: is there anyway to repair or reinstall just the registry from disk if this is the problem? i cant seem to find any other reason, but highly open to suggestions (its not addons related as ive opened IE without them enabled) or will i have to reinstall the whole of windows XP SP2 again? which bothers me due to knowing i will lose my last sytem restore to try to fix & an issue created earlier with printmaster gold 17.
Hoping like crazy someone can help me, i promise not to delete anything again! :cry: :suprised: :nervous:
all the best, Jo

Last edited:
Jet, all first posts are moderated.

I have approved your post and hopefully you will receive your answer shortly :)

have you tried to roll back to a day before this happened?

Remove that NoViewContextMenu entry as that is your problem. That entry must have been placed there by TweakXP.

Reboot and see what you get.

hi shamus
thanx for reply, if you mean restore then yes, but that then causes another problem as for some reason there were no restore points for nearly 2 weeks. if you mean something differrent could you please explain. many thanx.

hi zombie
i think you may have miss read my post, that was not in my system it was a post from someone elase that i quoted, but thanx anyway.

Since the post you reference talks about HKCU in the registry, I would try creating a new user profile and seeing if the issue occurs there. If it works, I would re-create your profile. Might be easier than any other hoops to jump through and you seem to have already researched it quite extensively.

And 2 weeks back what other problem happens?
hi again, originally i had a problem with printmaster gold 17 where i lost the ability to save to project file an all applictions of the program (which is a real pain as im creating web pages for a new site & uploading them from there, using the repair with disc wouldnt fix it, delete & reinstall didnt either, restore did) so now i have found that i can either have one problem or the other even though they dont seem related? LOL but cant fix both. i may have bodged a solution for now, ive finally found a restore point where i do have my right click but not the PMG17 feature, (i was able to fix PMG with restore last time but cant fix it again that way now that ive done the restore to fix the right click) i can save my web stuff to disc or documents & open it from there. but... if i want to try to fix the right click & have this PMG feature back working, i would have create a new restore point then go to the restore place where the right click wasnt working & try to fix again. im worried how many restores a system can take. i would like to solve the right click, if i spend a few days trying different things as oppose to jumping back & forth it might be ok, but im also at a stage where i have nothing else to try. apart from the new reply from Kcnychief, which i will try, but again will have to restore problem to fix, lol. what a mess i'm in, hope that all made sense. thanx again for replying.

Since the post you reference talks about HKCU in the registry, I would try creating a new user profile and seeing if the issue occurs there. If it works, I would re-create your profile. Might be easier than any other hoops to jump through and you seem to have already researched it quite extensively.
hiya, thanx for helping out. i will try your idea & let you know. but will have to do a couple more restores to get back there (see my reply to shamus for explanation) its a long one LOL
I must admit though my idea about the registry was grasping at straws, as i ive just realized that if that post only relates to the desktop right click (called context menu?) i dont have a problem with that part, LOL what is right click called in IE7? im sure i saw an option in there that said something like 'allow or disallow right click' but i cant find anything like that now.
many thanx,
rapidly going insane.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back