Big ping...?

• Thread starter EuphoricIAM
  • Start date
E

EuphoricIAM

Yeah, I've been having this problem where in this online game I play, I notice that my ping is too large (around 1 or 2 hundred, and once it even got up to 2000 or so). The game is Continuum, and that probably does't have anything to do with this as I notice some lag in other online games too. Anyway, I've heard that running Messenger (I use MSN) can create a big ping, that is pretty obvious, but even when I close it, my ping is still big. I'm not really desperate, but if anyone has any suggestions than that would be appreciated. Thanx.

a ping is basically how long it takes for your computer to send a packet (data) to another computer and back. so basically the faster the internet you are running dialup, DSL, Cable, t1, isdn, whatever. the faster the internet you are running, the shorter the ping. let me know if this was any help to you. and yes, the more internet applications you are running, the bigger the ping will be because you are taking up more bandwidth)

Brad

yes...

Well I kinda knew that already. I may have worded my question wrong. I want to know why my ping is so large and how I might be able to fix it, although I wouldn't expect that there would be a quick fix. Anyway, yeah so that's it.

My guess is your internet connection is either dialup (56k) or cable. You should post what your connection is though...

If its dialup, then you're basically SOL. 56k rarely gives you a good ping (be very very happy with anything near 200).

If its cable, then whenever a lot of people on your node (other cable modem users around you) are using the internet, it's going to get jammed up and your ping will be terrible. Proabably 2000+. That should fluctuate though...

There really isn't anything you can do either way, other than closing any applications that might use the internet. The best thing to do if you want better ping is get something like dsl or a t1, but thats mighty expenisve. If you're on a cable modem, just play games at off-peak times!

then i need to know what u use to connect to the internet and what sort of applications are you running while running the game. try to make it so u are running only the basics. and as i stated before, if u are running dialup you will have a high ping but there are some things you can do to help reduce that

Brad

Yeah...well

I actually have DSL. Sorry I didn't mention that before, I kinda forgot.

hmmm. try going to www.speedguide.net they have a lot of really good registry tweaks for dsl. stuff to make it so you can d-l faster and stuff. just make sure you save your registry before you make changes. that way if your computer messes up you can still fix it.

Brad

Or you could try this one: http://www.dslreports.com/tools

Good site to test your internet speed.
If you run the Tweak and/or Speed tests, you'll get a full report of what's wrong (or right) with your connection.

-its not a bandwidth prob

i have reason to believe that it very well could be XP's fault in some way.

I seem to be experiencing the same kind of online gaming lag that this dood is describing. My setup is as follows :

3 computers on a 4 port SMC barricade router/firewall. ICS is off on all machines. The ICF (firewall) has been disabled on all computers. The connection to the internet is a 300k down/50k up cable modem.

ill admit i do not know how to fully setup my hardware firewall in an advanced manner. And the ISP im on has been known to get laggy, although it was great a long time ago under win 98se

Is it XP's fault? Or some firewall settings? Or my ISP? I remeber i used to run SOFTWARE firewalls on these machines, and the defualt settings were "block all incoming/outgoing UDP packets" I remeber trying to ping servers using the all seeing eye, and it would come back '500' when ive known my ping to be as low as 30-50 ms in most servers.

well, i play CS on a server where i usually get a 40-50 ms ping. i know someone else that uses dsl and gets a 250 ms ping. sometimes it depends on how far away you are from the server. the more hops your computer needs to make to connect or communicate with the server, the higher the ping.

-yes but...

i understand a bit about how ping times work, and yes it can get laggied the more hops are involved

but ive pinged 50-60 on servers 10+ hops away from me before. I can post some screenshots on a traceroute program to prove that

what I don't know, is if my firewall, or XP could in some way be blocking or limiting UDP/ICMP/TCP packets from reaching my computer

Re: -its not a bandwidth prob

Originally posted by GhaLeoN
3 computers on a 4 port SMC barricade router/firewall. ICS is off on all machines. The ICF (firewall) has been disabled on all computers. The connection to the internet is a 300k down/50k up cable modem.

thats my setup.

But note that the SMC barricade is a router AND a hardware firewall.

Today I tested my connection at around 12 noon, and there didnt seem to be much difference between having the router plugged in, and running my comp directly to the cable modem.

this helps the 'ISP is lagged' theory... but I still feel it could be a combonation of factors involved. There was a time when my cable was fantastic, i would retain a ping time of 50-60 ms having 2 computers playing in the same server (this was on 98se however). Now, im lucky to my own ping stable in ANY server thats not close to me.

Im referring to quake 2, with cl_maxfps 70, rate 8000

my comp is an AMD 850, Geforce 2 TI, 384 ram

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back