Big HardWare Problem... HEEEELP !!!

A

anonymo

I bought recently a WD 120 Gig hard disk... And 8 megs of cache... I was happy with it... BUT...*

I partitioned it in three partitions... And when I tried copying large files from one partition to another... PROBLEMS people... It is REALLY REALLY slow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While my old hard disk did this very fast... this new one is taking ages...

Questions :

Does NTFS or FAT32 make a difference ?

Does putting it on MAster or SLAVE make a difference ?

And on what IDE CAble/Nappe position should I put it... The second one or the one at the top ?

thanks for any help provided.

Can you be more specific ?

What is FAT32 better at than NTFS and vice versa ? (I have LARGE files, over 1gig).

My hard disk is ALONE... on which nappe/cable should I put it and on which settings ?

And once I bring a second hard disk in. On which Nappe/cable setting should I put it ?

NFTS, is more reliable (better file recovery when it all goes tits up!) is more secure, security can be set per file, whereas FAT32 has no security/recovery. But NTFS is slightly slower....marginal speed diference though (despite what others may say).

Plug the HDD into the last plug (top one) of the lead, usually black connector, blue connector at other end goes on motherboard IDE plug. Make sure your using proper ATA100 cables too btw. they are very thin compared to a standard IDE cable.

Set the drive as Master (jumper on back of HDD) plug the 2nd HDD to the middle plug on the cable (usually grey) set it as SLAVE.

Have both HDDs on 1 IDE port, and any CD drives on your 2nd IDE port

working at a computerstore I've learned about the wd specials that they are:
- running very hot;
- running slow when jumpered the stock way. If you are planning to run this drive as master, you must remove all jumpers (the old fashion wd way).

Also it can mean that your hard drive is defective. You can check this with a program on the wd site.

Goodluck!

Originally posted by stuy_b

Plug the HDD into the last plug (top one) of the lead, usually black connector, blue connector at other end goes on motherboard IDE plug. Make sure your using proper ATA100 cables too btw. they are very thin compared to a standard IDE cable.

Set the drive as Master (jumper on back of HDD) plug the 2nd HDD to the middle plug on the cable (usually grey) set it as SLAVE.

I was told to plug them the opposite way, because master should be closer to the motherboard connector, which means the middle connector.

what do you think ? Isn't it the same as CD-ROM/CD Writers combination ?

Here is a visual:

IDE_ribbon.jpeg

Make sure the Cable is an ATA 66/100 3 connector Ribbon Cable (very important).

Connectors are color coded to the ATA standard: The blue end connects to your controller, the black end attaches to your master and/or single drive, and the gray connects to a second slave drive.

alway's put the master hard drive at the end of your ata-cable. Is your dma on under windows? and have you installed the latest busmastering drivers of your motherboard?

What programme did you use to partition the drive and what file systems did you format the partitions?
:)

When you say your old drive was very fast, do you mean between partitions or could it have been from one folder to another on the same partition? If the former, large files take a little time....but if you're saying the new one is slower I'm not sure why it should be a big difference. If the latter, you aren't really moiving the files just pointers, so the "transfer" is almost instantaneous.

I made the partitions with WinXP Pro... Which I am guessing is a ****** up software...

I am using NTFS on both partitions... By the way, anyone know why Win XP PRO leaves an unpartitionned 8 megabytes free space ? Whatever you do, it stays there and I just leave it because I don't need a 8 megabyte partition.

Also, when I rmoved my second hard disk, hoping that the system partition would return to the "C" letter... Well, it didn't, stayed on F:.... So now I'm stuck with this letteR.

And lastly... Anyone know the configuration of the CDROM drives ? I have the writer as MASTER, and on the last pin connector, on UDMA and the CDROM reader on slave, on the middle connector and set as PIO only. Any advices on this ?

Originally posted by anonymo
Also, when I rmoved my second hard disk, hoping that the system partition would return to the "C" letter... Well, it didn't, stayed on F:.... So now I'm stuck with this letteR.

DIRECTLY FROM MICROSQUISH:

To change an existing drive letter on a drive, partition, or volume:

1. Log on as Administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.
2. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Performance and Maintenance.
3. Click Administrative Tools, double-click Computer Management, and then in the left pane, click Disk Management.
4. Right-click the drive, partition, logical drive, or volume for which you want to assign a drive letter, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
5. Click Change.
6. Click Assign the following drive letter (if it is not already selected), click the drive letter that you want to use, and then click OK.
7. Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the drive letter change.

The drive letter of the drive, partition, or volume that you specified is changed, and the new drive letter is displayed in the appropriate drive, partition, or volume in the Disk Management tool.

Originally posted by anonymo
I am using NTFS on both partitions... By the way, anyone know why Win XP PRO leaves an unpartitionned 8 megabytes free space ? Whatever you do, it stays there and I just leave it because I don't need a 8 megabyte partition.

I think it's for Disk Management and other System things. Can't remember at the moment. If I remember I will post.

Your best bet would be to go to www.westerndigital.com and download there diagnostic utilities. ( I believe it's called data lifeguard )?
This will give you a good indication where to look for problem...could be hard drive...bois settings....ide settings...??

Hopefully that may utility gives you a starting point.
Good Luck

one thing for sure you need to make sure that the os is set to use ata66 which is turned off by default in xp you have to hack the reg to get it to run in ata66 found this out working at dell. i noticed an instant increase in speed of almost 20 % when i did this those big drives also run alot slower than the smaller ones
due to the size of the compression that the drive uses because the platters are the same size. personally would take that expensive thing back and get a raid controller and than get two exact hdd and run them in a raid 0 configuration that way you get double the speed and one drive that is really two drives if you want to spend the money thou go with raid 1+0 that way you have security and striping

Originally posted by wrcooper4
one thing for sure you need to make sure that the os is set to use ata66 which is turned off by default in xp you have to hack.

personally would take that expensive thing back and get a raid controller and than get two exact hdd and run them in a raid 0 configuration that way you get double the speed and one drive that is really two drives if you want to spend the money thou go with raid 1+0 that way you have security and striping
so all my drives are running at ata33 since i didn't 'hack' my resgistry? sorry, i think not.

and i don't think he wants to spend extra money by buying 2 harddrives and a raid controller... while losing reliability. if he buys 4 for raid 0+1, then he's just spending way more money then he wants or needs.

http://www.pureperformance.com/js/showtip.asp?id=23
here is the post if you dont belive me and oh ya it was posted on this sight when it used to have all that stuff man if ya going to slam me read up on it first i have been in computers for about 10 12 years and i am working on a cert for microsoft.net which is a great os but lacks the support for udma 66 as well strait from microsofts mouth being i beta test for them

personally would take that expensive thing back and get a raid controller and than get two exact hdd and run them in a raid 0 configuration that way you get double the speed and one drive that is really two drives if you want to spend the money thou go with raid 1+0 that way you have security and striping

No way you wanna do that (raid 0). Oh yeah it's faster all right, and if one drive dies you lose EVERYTHING.

Quote:
"Fault Tolerance: None. Failure of any drive results in loss of all data, short of specialized data recovery."

For anonymo (so you understand):
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/perf/raid/levels/singleLevel0-c.html

And if you wanna go with raid 1+0, he's gonna have to shell out for a minnimum of four (4) HDs. It's great but I don't think he wants to spend that much money.

For anonymo (so you understand):
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/perf/raid/levels/multLevel01-c.html

http://www.pureperformance.com/js/showtip.asp?id=23
here is the post if you dont belive me and oh ya it was posted on this sight when it used to have all that stuff man if ya going to slam me read up on it first i have been in computers for about 10 12 years and i am working on a cert for microsoft.net which is a great os but lacks the support for udma 66 as well strait from microsofts mouth being i beta test for them
This sounds really strange to me. I acctually had to disble the ATA66 once, running at ATA33 for a while. This was considerably slower than normal. If I was, like you say, running at ATA33 from the beginning, what was I running afterwards? Has Microsoft confirmed this? What about all the programs that claim the disks are running at ATA66/100/133? Are they lying?

im not sure i know that if you build a computer and install windows xp than it will go strait to udma 33 but i think that if you install some of the drivers for diff things like the motherboard drivers it does enable it not too sure i know mine dont thou had to hack the reg some boards are like that thou

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back