Big hard disk in Win XP

Sims

I'm WoW'ed...
Bid hard disk in Win XP

Hi, are there any size limit for hard drives in XP?
Heard somthing about 137Gb.
:confused:

Depends on your hardware rather than the operating system (although I think there may be a limit.. somewhere up in the Terrabytes though, nothing to worry about yet :D)

Most likely that if you have a system capable of running XP well then you have a system that will support >137GB.
However, check with your Motherboard manufacturer, or post what mobo you have and see if anyone knows of any limitations :)

Does the limits count as per partition or hardware as a whole?
A bit confused with this area.

Personally, I would split my HD up into several paritions for backups and games just incase the OS flops. Besides, I remove and copy an image of Windows every 6 months or so.

OK, that answers my question.
I'm guessing that a majority of users here are using the older version of XP, well I am anyway.
I don't have a HD that big, and even if I do get one, I doubt I'll have a partition bigger than 120GB.

As mentioned SP1 supports large hdrives. also manufacturers such as Maxtor do show patch downloads on their website for the largest drive support, to 250 Mb

Currently [a year or so ago] only Windows 2000 SP3 and Windows XP SP1 supports partitions larger than 137gb but not by default. You have to make a very minor change to the registry.

Microsoft

Thanks for all advice.
Very Usefull link speedy_b.

A bit slow replay, 'cause I'm chillin' down in Dubai :D

nice to know it's -4 celsius at home :p

haha so what if i was to buy a new 300gb hdd and was just installing windows xp w/ service pack 1 would i have to partition it first before installing? i dont know exactly how to make more than one partition using fdisk i usualy do it through partition magic.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back