BIG fish in little lakes... FLORIDA STYLE!!!

mlakrid

OSNN BASSMASTER
Political Access
WOW... I went fishing after work in my own little lake... to date my best fish was just a tad over 3 lbs, last week I shattered that record...

See the pics below...

The scale I had had this fish listed as 5 lbs... I do not know that I trust this scale anymore... this fish was FAT... look at the second picture... its belly was HUGE!! I am SOOO Happy I can not wait to get myself a canoe or small jon boat, I KNOW there are nice fish out there...

Me with fish:
HomePondFish012.jpg

Me trying to weigh her:
HomePondFish011.jpg

The measurement... almost 22" with a pinched tail...
HomePondFishSPBMJuneFish014.jpg

Look at the size of the mouth of this fish:
HomePondFish013.jpg

The best part was catching it in MY own little lake...
biggrin.gif

Mike A!

That fish is bigger than 5lbs. Should be a 8 punder at 22 in.

catch & release?

because I know Largemouth taste awful...

That fish is bigger than 5lbs. Should be a 8 punder at 22 in.
If I use Doug Hannons estimation technique... Length (22") to the 3rd power (10648) diveded by 1600 it equals to 6.655 lbs... so I wasnt too far off...

If it was in Califronia eating lake trout MAYBE it could have been 8 lbs... very doubtful here in Florida...
I have yet to catch a bass over eight my personal best is just shy of 8 lbs at around 7.8...

One of my goals for this year is to fish the big bass lakes of Florida until I do catch one that big...

catch & release?

because I know Largemouth taste awful...

Yes it was catch and release... but they do NOT taste awful... bass by ther very nature actually taste good, they eat only other living creatures, the best sized ones to eat are between 2-3 pounds...

Fillet them clean, and then cook them to your liking...

Mike A!

Hehe, it's got a bigger mouth than you :D

:laugh: Yeah but mlakrid cheeks are chunkier. :p

His face! The cheeks on his face. Don't get no stuuuuuupid ideas.

Hey mlakrid, I wonder what a "Photo Shop" session of one of yer pictures would turn up. Ooooo I know, an animated gif with one of them talking plastic big mouth bass thingies. :rolleyes:

:laugh: Yeah but mlakrid cheeks are chunkier. :p

His face! The cheeks on his face. Don't get no stuuuuuupid ideas.

Hey mlakrid, I wonder what a "Photo Shop" session of one of yer pictures would turn up. Ooooo I know, an animated gif with one of them talking plastic big mouth bass thingies. :rolleyes:

OH NO YOU DIDN... :mad:

:cry:

Mike A!

Blah, not that impressed.

Now if that fish could TALK while mounted on a wall, I'd be all over it :smoker:

Billy bass is overrated I tell you!!!!

Mike A!

I to am here in West Palm Beach for about 7 months, and there is a lake behind my place. That thing is full of bass, with plenty of these little shad to feed on. I have caught them 7-9lbs. But dude seriously, you got to snap the pic and release.Takes about 10years to get to trophy size.....let them grow(go).:)

I to am here in West Palm Beach for about 7 months, and there is a lake behind my place. That thing is full of bass, with plenty of these little shad to feed on. I have caught them 7-9lbs. But dude seriously, you got to snap the pic and release.Takes about 10years to get to trophy size.....let them grow(go).:)

You may want to re-read my second post...

If I use Doug Hannons estimation technique... Length (22") to the 3rd power (10648) diveded by 1600 it equals to 6.655 lbs... so I wasnt too far off...

If it was in Califronia eating lake trout MAYBE it could have been 8 lbs... very doubtful here in Florida...
I have yet to catch a bass over eight my personal best is just shy of 8 lbs at around 7.8...

One of my goals for this year is to fish the big bass lakes of Florida until I do catch one that big...

Yes it was catch and release... but they do NOT taste awful... bass by ther very nature actually taste good, they eat only other living creatures, the best sized ones to eat are between 2-3 pounds...

Fillet them clean, and then cook them to your liking...

Mike A!

It only takes a bass 12 months to reach between 1 and 1.5 lbs... after that the weight they put on is only limited by the amount of food in the lake...

A "trophy bass" in the range you spoke about only takes 2-5 years again, TOTALLY dependant upon the amount of feed available, and their ability to avoid predators... I was only 50 feet from the water, and she swam away very briskly with no issues...

I would suggest you ASK before making assumptions about people on a forum which you are brand new too...

On that note: Welcome to OSNN...

Mike A!
Land O Lakes, FL

You may want to re-read my second post...

It only takes a bass 12 months to reach between 1 and 1.5 lbs... after that the weight they put on is only limited by the amount of food in the lake...

A "trophy bass" in the range you spoke about only takes 2-5 years again, TOTALLY dependant upon the amount of feed available, and their ability to avoid predators... I was only 50 feet from the water, and she swam away very briskly with no issues...

I would suggest you ASK before making assumptions about people on a forum which you are brand new too...

On that note: Welcome to OSNN...

Mike A!
Land O Lakes, FL

I apoligize if my post was abrasive, though after reading it "I don't really see how anyone could feel offended." I actually have been a member on this forum for over a year. I came to take advantage of the wonderful razor hacking(probably not a good word) info given by one of the really great members on this forum. But thanks for the welcome sir.

Bass indeed do grow to 1-1.5lbs in the first year. Maybe 5-6lbs in 5year based on food sources; which, as far as a bass is concerned, is alway available. I've seen them slam rats swimming in a lake close to a landfill, so nothing really is off limits. Now 9-10lbs in as you say 2-5 years; if we are calling a trophy, according to the State of Fl, FWC, a fish of 10lbs or more-----U'm, I don't think so. If you can make them grow like that, then give up thrashing newbies in threads, and go into Aquaculture......you will make a fortune.

P.S. 41/2 lbs..............Maybe.:yowch:

Last edited by a moderator:
I apoligize if my post was abrasive, though after reading it "I don't really see how anyone could feel offended." I actually have been a member on this forum for over a year. I came to take advantage of the wonderful razor hacking(probably not a good word) info given by one of the really great members on this forum. But thanks for the welcome sir.

I wouldn't say abrasive, I would say presumptive... which is why I suggested you re-read my second post... I was not "offended" just annoyed, I was having a bad day, and it bugged me that you would point out a quick photo and release was needed...

So if I came of as abrasive, then it is my turn, I apologize... :)

Bass indeed do grow to 1-1.5lbs in the first year. Maybe 5-6lbs in 5year based on food sources; which, as far as a bass is concerned, is alway available. I've seen them slam rats swimming in a lake close to a landfill, so nothing really is off limits. Now 9-10lbs in as you say 2-5 years; if we are calling a trophy, according to the State of Fl, FWC, a fish of 10lbs or more-----U'm, I don't think so.

A yearling bass with little to no competition can weigh as much as two pounds... a bass over a yearling but before his two year mark can achieve enourmous growth spurt reaching 3-4 lbs (which is above average and again dependent upon competition and availability of forage) and only be 14 - 15 inches... so you can imagine the girth...

When I was speaking of a "trophy" I was reffering to an above average sized fish, which in many places around the country would be considered for a mount... this fish qualifys at over 6 lbs... Does it qualify for a CERTIFIED trophy as designated here in the State of Florida? Def not...

If you can make them grow like that, then give up thrashing newbies in threads, and go into Aquaculture......you will make a fortune.

P.S. 41/2 lbs..............Maybe.:yowch:

This portion is simply not warranted, and definately NOT professional... if a post was ever considered FLAME BAIT... I think this is it...

If you didn't believe me all you had to do is google the very topic I was speaking about...

Have a look at an excerpt from here:
http://www.bassresource.com/fish_biology/selective_harvest.html

"Growth rate is defined as how long it takes for a fish to reach a given size. In some lakes, bass may attain 3 pounds in less than 3 years, which is considered rapid growth. Exceptional growth rates on some new Texas reservoirs were measured at about 2 pounds/year, which will produce some 10-pound fish in only 5 years! Regulations on lakes with rapid growth will allow fish to quickly grow to a size preferred by anglers without the threat of harvest. Alternately, slow growing bass may not attain 3 pounds until age 5 or 6."

Everyone has hobbies which they know alot about...
My obsession is fishing, almost exclusively for Black Bass (Micropterus Salmoides) in particular...

I was not trying to attack you but rather to make you aware of forum ettiquette, your last comment made it personal... I was not taking it there...

Personal attacks or Flame Baits have no business on this or any other forum...

Regards,

Mike A!

"My mother is a fish"

for those wondering what I'm smoking..
Spoken/thought by Vardman in Faulkner's "As I Lay Dying"

Those 5 words comprised a whole chapter..

Frankly, I want to know what Faulkner was smoking when he wrote some of his books..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back