Big Corrupted Problem?

FalseIdeasOfLove

Life In A Hospital
Hey, it's been a while since I've posted here, but every time I have PC problems I know that this is the place to trust. Anyways, the problem I am having, to me, is quite stressful... Here's how the story goes:

Today I formatted my PC after returning from a week-long trip. After formatting and installing Windows XP Home Edition and getting some stuff installed on my machine as usual I took time to check out my D: drive containing all of my music and other documents that I felt should be held on my 160GB drive. Without having any previous trouble with this drive I noticed about 3/4 of my music collection was missing, at least to the visible eye. I then noticed that the freespace had not gone down since before the format, so in reality the music was still there, just not visible. Anyways, somehow, since the time of formatting my machine and installing the normal applications one installs after a fresh format, my 160GB 'media' drive has become 3/4 corrupted and a lot of files aren't appearing. Another problem is that some folders won't open or delete and give me a message saying that "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable." If anyone can give me some advice on how to regain my large collection of media or if I'm 'SOL' and need to format this disk while wiping away tears, anything would be great.

Thanks for taking the time to read my story... :nervous:

xo
falseideasoflove.

chkdsk /f <drive letter> and reboot.

Let us know how you get on :)

Thanks a lot! That worked splendidly. I'll have to remember that for next time it happens. Thanks again, you saved me a huge headache.

Though chkdsk saved your files it might not be a bad idea to make sure you backup them up if at all possible. Part of the HD becoming corrupt could possibly forshadowing of it's death in the future. ;) (then again perhaps not)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back