Big Brother wants to watch over the internet now!

joyojoy

Not all there...
Was listening to Neal Boortz this morning on my way to work. He mentioned that the government is considering a bill requiring ISPs to track all of our movements on the internet.

I checked it out for myself on the internet, and apparently it's true! Click HERE to read the story. I pretty much try to avoid politics as much as possible, but this is disturbing stuff.

By the way, Boortz has some interesting stuff on his site (my personal favorite is the redneck section). I don't always agree with him, but at least he gets me thinking...

ISPs already track all of our movements on the internet.

Son Goku said:
It's slow as hell for actual browsing, but that has been a bit of an answer for web browsing (albeit things like email not covered with this particular app). Namely JAP (or Java Anonymous Proxy).

http://anon.inf.tu-dresden.de/index_en.html
I've not heard of "JAP" but Tor seems to be all the rage lately. :) Also i2p is interesting if your looking for anonymous networking, though slow.

Well TOR seems to have the advantage that it can allow more then just web browsing to be anonymized.

On the other hand (and yes JAP is slow by comparison, though perhaps a bit better that more mix chains are out there) JAP has the advantage of multiple encryption + randomizing the packets so as they're sent from one mix proxy in the chain, to the next, they're sent out in a different random order then the packets were received. Also, due to stripping off 1 of the layers of encryption, the packet going out in random order is a different size then when it was received...

Hmm...

Well... lucky for me, I don't have anything to hide (if you don't count my credit card number on Amazon...). Sometimes being a puritanical prude has its advantages...

This is somthing that has been going on for a while now. A majority of the ISP's won't disclose any information though. Eventually, it will get to the point where the government will control the internet. They will keep records of everything, and watch people every move.

joyojoy said:
Well... lucky for me, I don't have anything to hide (if you don't count my credit card number on Amazon...). Sometimes being a puritanical prude has its advantages...

Well it's not just a matter if one "has something to hide" in the sense of wrong doing, but also a matter if one would want personal matters to be known by anyone. If one emails their boyfriend/girlfriend for instance, and the contents are, umm, of an intimate or personal nature...would one really want it "out there"? Probably not... It would very much fall in the category of private however...

Course, generally speaking, some people are a bit more of a "private person" by nature, then others...

perris said:
have you used tor?
I've been meaning to get it running. I have tried ip2 though, reminded me alot of freenet. :)

Son Goku said:
Well it's not just a matter if one "has something to hide" in the sense of wrong doing, but also a matter if one would want personal matters to be known by anyone.
So true. It doesn't matter what your doing, its the fact the government is going to be tracking your every click and what happens when they have a false positive? Oh and they will have false positives. With the new policys going along with this Home Land Security and FBI could just come and take you off to another part of the world in the middle of the night and it would be ILLEGAL for any of your family, friends, ANYONE to mention that you've been "taken". We are on our way to a Empire and some people are shoving us faster and faster in that direction.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back