BF2142 crashes my system.

Sinster

OSNN Senior Addict
I keep getting a BF2142 memory error and then after I click on close "BF2142.EXE has Stop working" I BSOD.

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 2/25/2007 12:31:58 AM
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer:
Description:
Faulting application BF2142.exe, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x45c711f6, faulting module MEMORY.DLL, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x45c7104d, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00001ddc, process id 0xf18, application start time 0x01c75893f382545a.

Error 2/25/2007 12:32:01 AM 0 None <--- I have two of these right after each instances of bf2142.exe crashes. They are errors but they are blank.

Log Name: System
Source: EventLog
Date: 2/25/2007 12:34:59 AM
Event ID: 6008
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer:
Description:
The previous system shutdown at 12:32:07 AM on 2/25/2007 was unexpected.

Sorry I have no answer - but I am curious to know how it runs on your setup. I am about to pull the trigger on an E6600 + 4GB DDR800 + 8800GTS 640MB and if it actually plays smoothly on yours I am sure it will be OK on mine. This question is Vista-specific.

Sinster, i believe bf2142 has an issue with the 8800 cards, you may have to install a specific driver for the game to run, look on ea's support website.

also it could be an issue with you running vista 64bit, i don't really use vista, but is there an option to force compatibility with xp? in the properties of the .exe?

Sorry I have no answer - but I am curious to know how it runs on your setup. I am about to pull the trigger on an E6600 + 4GB DDR800 + 8800GTS 640MB and if it actually plays smoothly on yours I am sure it will be OK on mine. This question is Vista-specific.

I'm running it at 1680 x 1050 everything on high. It runs pretty smooth but my X-Fi is holding me back and during some point my FPS stays at 80+ but stutters on my sound.

I dont understand why they removed the HAL for hardware sound.. that is definitely holding ya back there. I ask because I am trying to build a Vista x64 / 8800GTS / 4GBDDR800 pc by Mar 24th for a BF2142 LAN party and Id like to be competitive .. if not I will dual boot XP as a precaution. Let us know in the thread if you ever get this resolved!

I will let you know when Creative releases non beta drivers for Vista.. Rumor is March 8/9.

I dont understand why they removed the HAL for hardware sound

Should not matter with the X-Fi card and games like BF2142 or other recent games as they use OpenAL not DirectSound or DirectSound3D. Only older games should be affected by the HAL removal.
The audio changes in Windows Vista do not affect OpenAL however. For audio cards that feature 'native' OpenAL support, such as the SB X-Fi series of cards, there is no need to worry! Games that enable support for OpenAL will continue to run just as they do on Windows XP - with hardware accelerated audio and effects.

Although OpenAL has arguably replaced DirectSound3D, particularly in many modern PC Games (e.g Battlefield 2142, Doom3, Quake 4, Prey, etc ...), there are hundreds of older PC games that support DirectSound3D and EAX technology --- all of these games will sound empty and lifeless on Vista. As most DS3D games only enable 3D Audio (and EAX) if a hardware accelerator is present, most of these games will be reduced to a stereo output.
Source

The drivers just sucks for me for my X-Fi.. I get constant snap cracking and popping in Vista... I own 2 X-Fi and both have been installed on a NF4 board in XP and not once have I experienced the SCP that is notorious with CL.

Should not matter with the X-Fi card and games like BF2142 or other recent games as they use OpenAL not DirectSound or DirectSound3D. Only older games should be affected by the HAL removal.

Source
thanks!

Would I experience any audio issues with an ASUS P5b-Deluxe with onboard High Definition audio chipset?

Specifically:
ADI® AD1988B 8-channel High Definition Audio CODEC
- Support Jack-Sensing, Enumeration, Multi-streaming and Jack-Retasking
- Coaxial / Optical S/PDIF out ports at back I/O
- ASUS Noise Filter
- ASUS Array Mic

Sinister...I had the same problem you're having. I solved it by doing the following.

First, you'll need to grab and install Visual Studio C++ Express from Microsoft.

It's free so don't worry.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/default.aspx
Once installed, you'll need to update it. also the game make sure u have lastest

patch installed

Backup the bf2.exe file. Just in case.
Start ->Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition ->Visual Studio Tools ->Visual Studio

2005 Command Prompt
Navigate to your battlefield 2 directory.
If you don't know how to navigate in DOS, follow this:
"cd c:\Program Files\" ENTER ***c:\Program Files (x86)\ ENTER in vista 64***
then usually it's "cd EA GAMES" ENTER
"cd Battlefield 2" ENTER

NOW WRITE THIS

editbin.exe /LARGEADDRESSAWARE BF2.exe hit ENTER. Should come up with a

Microsoft copyright or trademark thingy. This means success.
write exit and hit ENTER
RDY TO ROCK!!

This is where I found the info: http://www.forumplanet.com/planetbattlefield/topic.asp?fid=13392&tid=2038426

I've personally tried on both BF2 and BF2142 and it works great! Since I've done this about a week ago, it's not stopped on me even once, so I know for sure it works on both games. From what this guy says, it should work on any game and I believe him since it worked on these two!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back