Between DSL and Cable

I am currently using DSL also... I love it, it's great. I have had no problems at all. I heard Cable is good but I also heard that DSL is slightly better in most areas. I say, go with DSL dude ;)

<details>I wish you'd call it fiber instead of able since cable mostly meast Cable-TV Internet.</details>
Since you don't use the Internet more than you do I'd go with the cheaper chiose regardless. There is no difference in security between the two. The user is responsible for the security of his/her data. A firewall is recommended in any case.

I currently work for a broadband isp provider (att/comcst), and i have had ADSL in the past.

The choice between Broadband (cable) and ADSL all depends on 1) what you need it for 2) Where you live (very important) 3) The provider of course!!!!

1) What you need it for - If you run a business or are looking into hosting a web server or a email server or something into that perspective, than choose DSL. With you can have static ip's & the service is generally not interupted by storms or by some idiot running into a telephone pole.

2) Where you live - Is very important, i live in a apartment building and have "broadband", it's honestly great. The only interuptions are when they are big enough to knock out my cable tv. If you live in a large area like Los Angeles then go for the DSL.
DSL doesn't share internet the same way a cable server does. (cable sucks in large citys!, not enough servers to hold the quota!)

3)ISP - Internet Service Provider is important of course, for price, customer service, reputation! ---->
Basically we all know AOL is horribly wrong, att/comcst terrible (21 million customers!!! YA REAL PERSONAL)

Anyway I live in a small area, i don't run any servers and i do live in an apartment building, and i have broadband cable internet.

Thanks for the reply everyone.After much considerations I think I go DSL.The cable here is excellent but the ISP is still new and lately they had installed their TV channels to my house (that is suppose to share the same cables and even modems) but there are still some hitches (like TV images not clear and seems to always under maintenance etc etc.) Their d/load speed is a little slower ( than the ADSL between 99 to 100 Mbps constant) but the upload speed is much much slower compare to ADSL.I have no regret on whatever the speed is because I don't own a web business.Its purely surfing and mails but since there have been many 'talkings' between ADSL and Cables it made me confused at first.I confirmed I'll stay ADSL.There have been news that the ISP is upgrading to 250 Mbps by Apr next year., no surprise since they started., they have been upgrading their speeds and not much extras to pay.No comment.Thanks everyone.

woah 250Mbps. flipping hell. I would be happy with 2Mbit

I think he made a typo. 250Mbps would require the clients to have Gigabit Ethernet.
than the ADSL between 99 to 100 Mbps constant
Seems a bit over the top as well. :)

Gigabit ethernet...ooh...it's in existance too...

Nick does: :::drools:::

I guess i'll throw in my 2 cents...I've had a cable connection with ATT Broadband for about a year now.

Security? I'm using a Linksys BSFR41...I don't sweat it. It's all up to the end user to secure their system whether it be DSL or Cable. As far as being on 24/7...I love it...who wants to disconnect and reconnect...argh...just walk over and launch IE....sweeeet.

Maybe i'm just lucky but I don't think there is any DSL that can touch this cable connection:D

What test was that? I mean; where could I try it? :)

On reply to Zedric's, its not a typo.At the moment NTT Japan (the main ISP) are offerings 8/12 and 100 Mbps to normal home users.That is the normal speed available here now.We used to have ISDN before but it has been phased out.They pay about US 50 a month incl.phone line at a flat rate 24/7.The 250 Mbps upgrade will be in Apr soon.Looking back at the ADSL here in Japan., they only started about a year ago with 1.5 then upgrading very speed progressively for their home user.

Oh, Japan (that's cheating! ;)). Sorry, missed that. You guys are way ahead of us in this area.

It's like 2048 over in Japan!! Over here (North America) half of us are still in the 80's! lol

It's like 2048 over in Japan!! Over here (North America) half of us are still in the 80's! lol

Originally posted by stj-zeppelin
Yes you seem to be stuck in a loop! :D

You pay about US 20 a month for an 8/12 Mbps or US 50 for a 100Mbps and they are all flat rate online plus your phone bill (24/7).No slower than 1.5 Mbps here anymore.

I feel like I am being raped. I pay $60 a month for 76.8k/12.8k DSL. The only good thing I can say about it is that it has never been down once in three years and my connection only drops maybe once a month (when I reach my per session transfer limit of 5 gig down 2 gig up) and it only requires a wait of approximately 30 seconds before reconnect. But I guess after the incredible pain in the @ss that it was for them to get the line provisioned and the actual service on (3 months from the promised date) I should expect my connection to be extremely stable.

I only wish cable would have been available in my area when I moved in, b/c I would have never gone DSL. Unfortunately for me, AT&T had my part of town when I moved in but didn't offer cable internet and only offered a horrible basic cable tv package on top of it.

Now that Charter came in, replaced all the lines and ran AT&T out, I have real cable tv and I can get cable internet.

So anyway, my contract expires January 2, 2003 and I cannot wait to drop my DSL and get some cable. For $10 a month more, I can get 1.5mbps/1.0mbps through Charter. And with their current special, the first month is $1. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back