better or not?

• Thread starter dArK_CyAnIdE
  • Start date
D

dArK_CyAnIdE

is it better to suck "IN" air or to flow it out of the tower...
cause my fans are like this : one in front to suck air IN and the other to blow it out.. i have the antec SX1030B by the way if it helps anyone imagine it! :p

is it better to have air flowing inside the tower, on the heatsink or to suck the air from it(to the outside)???
cause i want to optimize the air-"cooling" factor...
ne1 give me ur opinion cause i dont have lots of experience with the way pc`s are cooled
thx... any help is appreciated =)

Yes and Yes.

You need cool air coming in, and hot air going out. You also need good airflow to the areas needing it. Having IDE cables and junk in the way disrupts the airflow, and is not as effective.

Make sure you have a good fan(s) on your CPU, and maybe on your video card if you overclock. Some people even use one directed at their hard drive.

Also, make sure to clean the fans and case regularly. Dust creates heat.

Hope this helps.

You can buy round IDE cables to help increase airflow. I have seen them at tigerdirect.com.

hut hut... you said "ventilation".....hehehe

Yep in and out is great advice! i have one in, 2 out, and one rigged in the middle to help circulate air! Sounds like a C-130!

k ill just inverse the "flow" then ...
thx u all!

I have that exact case man!

I have four Sunon 80mm case fans (replaced the Antec stock fans) and I have an Antec "Cyclone Blower" PCI exhaust fan...

With that combination, I am running an AthlonXP 1800+ overclocked to XP2100+ (12.5 x 139), a Radeon 64MB DDR overclocked to 200.3MHz synchronous, and two 7200RPM drives with split swap files (so they're both used extensively) - all of that and I am running at 38-39C idle and 48-49C load (max load, running Prime95) - not bad for a SiSoft performance rating of 2.312GHz... :)

It's all about ventilation. I have that same case, and I can tell you it's designed really well for air flow...

mavis

btw i got my Sunon 80mm's at sidewindercomputers.com, they have a great listening room so you can hear their fans - those Sunons I'm running are down at the bottom of that list (which means they're VERY quiet) but they still move 36cfm... and they're cheap! only $8 or so, each

how good are the original fans( the 2 antec) cause right now i have one sunon 80mm but i was looking into replacing those two aswell.. is it worthit?

mavis hows are ur fans placed.. like the 2 in front suking in air and the 2 behinds blowing out???

or is it inversed??? cause im looking for the best way to make air circulate in my case...

yeah, I've got the two in front as intake and the two in back as exhaust... I moved the harddrives to directly underneath the floppy, in the same drive bay - that way all the incoming air is cool (doesn't get warm right as it enters the case by passing over the hard drives) - I've never really had any problems with temp on my hard drives, so I didn't think there'd be a problem with that configuration...

You know those slide rails that are kind of attached to the bottom of the case (inside)? Well, if you put a regular CD jewel case inside your computer there, opened and kind of slid underneath the unused slide rails, it helps direct the incoming air up to your CPU/video card... does that make sense? Just open up a CD (take out the insert so it doesn't flap around in the air stream) lol - the thumb tabs on the slide rails kind of slide into the hinge of your jewel case, helping to keep it open... - here I'll try to draw a pic

-------------> View from the side, "p" is the power supply

---------
|p.......|
|.........|
|.........| <----- your case
---------

---------
|p.......|
|.........|
|.....>..| <----- CD jewel case placement
---------

So the air is directed UP, toward your video card and CPU - does that make any sense at all??? :)

Anyway, that configuration works for me. And about the Antec fans, I just replaced them because I wanted RPM matched fans, plus the Sunon 80mm's I got are very quiet (more quiet than the Antec stock fans, I'm sure) - The only problem I've had is when I tried to use a Sunon 92mm with my heatsink - I bought the 92mm-to-60mm adapter - but it raised my temps a lot, even tho the 92mm moved more cfm... The only thing I could figure out is that the adapter (which raised the fan 25mm off my heatsink) put my fan too close to the rear exhaust fans, or rather, in the stream of air being sucked out by the exhaust fans. So, the air could either go through a 40cfm fan to my heatsink of go through twin 80mm's with a combined cfm of 80 or so - I guess there was too much competition for the air and as a result my heatsink didn't get enough. When I put the 60mm Delta back on, everything was fine again... :)

mavis

LOL nice idea .. never heard of sumone putting a cd jwel to divert the air flow NICE!!!!:D
well thx ill try that hehhehe maybe like ill oc like u lol... nah im ok @1.54... with 1700+..almost bought ur`s though lol
k well thx :p

btw. was it easy to unlock the bridges? ive seen the movie @ tomshardware and i have all the info to do it myself but i dunno...
maybe after this summer... or during my march break when ill have my new GF4 heheh =)

o and what the pci blower u ur talking about... what is that and where can i find one?

Originally posted by dArK_CyAnIdE
o and what the pci blower u ur talking about... what is that and where can i find one?

I'll post a link in about an hour, when I get home... It only cost about $15... I'm sure you can find it online tho, just do a search for "Antec Cyclone Blower"

As far as the jewel case - thanks! It seemed like a good choice - perfect fit, but enough room on the sides (2-4cm as I recall) to allow a little bit of air around it... anyway it was one of my ex-girlfriend's CDs so no biggie... :)

mavis

OK I'm home now - actually I remembered as soon as I left the office, I got the blower at the same place as the case, lol - www.upgradesource.com - might be able to find it for less elsewhere though... As far as what it is, well - it mounts in an empty PCI slot and the fan points up, sucks air down into it and exhausts out the PCI slot. Here is a pdf with specs, from Antec...

mavis

nice little piece of hardware lol i think ill go and pick one up.. do you if they ship to canada?

btw does anybody have an idea for want i could use for a filter...
sumthg that wont be in the way (won`t block air) hheheh!:p

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back