Better Configuration

Daeron Tinúviel

OSNN Senior Addict
Which u think is the bets combo for a pc right now?

A DVD-Burner & a DVD-ROM or a DVD-Burner & CDRW???

Definitely DVD writer and CDRW. Enables you to burn multiple copies of CDs.

ok, and how about brands?? i have in mind one of this 2:

Plextor 8X DVD-RW/+RW Drive, Model PX-708A/SW

Write Speed: 40X CD-R, 24X CD-RW, 8X DVD+R, 4X DVD-R, 4X DVD+RW, 2X DVD-RW
Read Speed: 40X CD-ROM/CD-R, 12X DVD-ROM

OR

Lite-On White DVD+/-RW Drive, Model SOHW-812S

Write Speed: 8X DVD+R, 4X DVD+RW, 8X DVD-R, 4X DVD-RW, 40X CD-R, 24X CD-RW
Read Speed: 40X CD-ROM, 12X DVD-ROM

I say DVD Writer and CD Writer.... and go for the Lite-On... better value

Both are very respectable brands. I would have suggested those two brands that you have mentioned. However, my personal preference would be Lite-On as I've never had any problems with their CDRW or DVD drives. Bought 4 of Lite-On products in total so far and will be more than likely to stick to this brand in the future (unless something bad happens). :p

Haven't tried Plextor, but seen one in action though. I think it'll be a little difficult to judge which is better out of the two.

If the Plextor is better, I don't think it would be enough to justify the price difference between the two... I can't say I've ever heard any major complaints about either of the two brands, so you should be ok either way.

Plextors are the Rolls Royces of drives (and you pay for that).

I'd recommend Lite-On for the CDRW, it's cheaper and runs neck and neck with the Plex's.

For the DVDRW, If you're gonna go with liteon, get the 4x, it is upgradeable to 8x with firmware. I'd recommend an HP if you can deal with a single format (+) drive or a NEC for dual format.

BenQ's are also supposedly awesome drives. I know you get the 4x - drive and then for $10 you can buy firmware that adds + and 8x.

mmmmmm though decision........how about the pioneers??? i know about the firmware of the liteons but the 8x8x its only $115 which i think is reasonable price......

Pioneer better for HiFi equipment rather than pc components.
Maybe Lite-On for value.

I know of 2, 411S liteon's, both bought at christmas. Me and a buddy. He has burned hundreds of dvds with no problems. I returned mine after 3 weeks of hassles because it wouldn't burn RW media. I sent him my left over media and it worked fine on his. I now figure mine was just a random dud.

Bottom line is I'm thinking of trying Lite on again next good sale I see.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back