Best Windows 7 AMD temp gauge

Vanquished

Mr. Bananagrabber
Political Access
Hey guys,
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but I was wondering if anybody knew of a good temperature gauge for my AMD Phenom II X4 955 B.E. processor. I was using the MSI Control Center program that comes with the motherboard but it seems to be all over the map, temps jumping from 37-44 one second then back down the next, that can't be correct right? It's making me paranoid that my CPU isn't being cooled correctly but I just don't know, anybody got any ideas?
I am using the stock cooling apparatus and the temperature readings are taking during internet browsing, and heavy downloading (Steam downloading games)
Thanks
Jack

I like it, guess i forgot about it or whatever, but this seems to be just what I was lookin for. Any idea why the MSI Control Center would be so varied and off?
Thanks again Zombie!

It probably has more to do with the reporting interval than really being "varied" or "off."

It probably has more to do with the reporting interval than really being "varied" or "off."
Well they are both set to 1 second it seems, but I'm liking the numbers SpeedFan is giving me, seems a lot more normal. Not sure if my CPU is listed as CPU or temp 1, either way the temps are fine through speedfan i guess.

Alrighty, so I downloaded Speedfan and AMD Overdrive, and both work magnificently, just needed AMD Overdrive because I wanted to know what temps speedfan was reading, and there is something in my system that runs about 5 degrees hotter than the CPU at all times, its listed as temp 01 in both Speedfan and Overdrive. Any Ideas?
Also, when did MOBOs stop coming with fans? I can see that mine which is a micro doesn't have one but my friends which is full size also doesn't have one.

Hey!
This kind of works for this thread. Although its a different computer in question.
So the story is. I just replaced my motherboard, I went from an MSI 890GXM-G65 to a Gigabyte 990FXA UD3 I kept the same processor (Phenom II 955 BE). The cooler on the processor is a Corsair H50. I am confused/concerned about the temp readings I'm getting. On the Motherboard the CPU temp reads 37-39, on Overdrive CPU temp reads 46-50, and on Core Temp 1.0 it reads anywhere from 29-37 based on the CPU load. This is confusing to say the least, and its concerning because before I swapped out the board I ran at around 29C to 33C (according to Overdrive and the MSI bios).
I've made sure the thermal paste is smooth and thin on the cpu which didn't make a difference. Don't know what I should do...

cpu temp will go up and down based on work load and can jump up and down quite often.

You also have to take in to account that the thermal probes are always in the wrong place to get accurate readings.

If you chip gets too hot the pc will either beep at you or power off. The powering off bit was a big clue I needed to replace my cpu cooler :)

cpu temp will go up and down based on work load and can jump up and down quite often.

You also have to take in to account that the thermal probes are always in the wrong place to get accurate readings.

If you chip gets too hot the pc will either beep at you or power off. The powering off bit was a big clue I needed to replace my cpu cooler :)
Are the probes on the chip or the mobo? I'm just confused as to why it would change with the new board. (unless the fan management is messed up)
I suppose everything is running fine so I should just assume the temps are within range?

Motherboard - the cpu one is usually under the cpu socket or behind it in some cases.

You are only supposed to place a small dot of paste onto the middle of the cpu and let the heatsink spread the paste.

Spreading a thin layer across the whole CPU is only for AMD cpus that do not have a metal cap.

Your CPU has a metal cap.

Take a look: Arctic Silver, Inc. - AMD® Application Methods
Well I've done it both ways it didn't make a difference. Do you think the reason the temps are high are because of the break-in period? It says that arctic silver 5 takes 200 hours of break in time. I haven't used my computer for 200 hours/may not have even had the current mobo/heatsink setup on for that long. Or should I try again and just put a small dot this time?

just leave it and stop worrying :) If it overheats it'll shutdown. It'll only overheat if the fan fails.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back