best way to use 2x 500gb hdd

Dark Atheist

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
they arent on the raid part of the board, i see no point in concat'ing them so would it be best to go with gstripe ? i want them to be one drive as its for storage

Best way to use 2 x 500GB disks is to send them to me so I can put them in my private anime server :)

they are already in my prv8 server :) - along with a spare 200gb (sata 150gb) - just require the best way of how to use them, X showed me how to gstripe and concat but is it required here ?

gstripe label -v 500gb /dev/ad4
gstripe label -v 501gb /dev/ad6

gconcat label -v 1tb /dev/gstripe/500gb /dev/gstripe/501gb

????

Ergo.Proxy.part01.rar - akira.part01.rar :p

Up to you. You loose space due to the larger cluster sizes if your stripe them.

Up to you. You loose space due to the larger cluster sizes if your stripe them.

gstripe is like gconcat, except it stripes the data across both drives, so writes and reads are faster. No space is lost.

You want to do gstripe label -v 1TB ad4 ad6 if I remember correctly, not near a FreeBSD machine to check the man page.

This will create a 1 terabyte stripe that you can then newfs.

Have you ever used the geom providers LordOfLA?

gstripe is like gconcat, except it stripes the data across both drives, so writes and reads are faster. No space is lost.

You want to do gstripe label -v 1TB ad4 ad6 if I remember correctly, not near a FreeBSD machine to check the man page.

This will create a 1 terabyte stripe that you can then newfs.

Have you ever used the geom providers LordOfLA?

atm i have them as separate drives i suppose i could change them, thing is they arent full 500gb - no drive is what they say they are they are 465gb, also don't you have to start and stop a gstripe volume, from what im reading, betting im wrong ;)

Last edited:
Oh this is a technical thread. I was going to say <censored>.

Last edited by a moderator:
atm i have them as separate drives i suppose i could change them, thing is they arent full 500gb - no drive is what they say they are they are 465gb, also don't you have to start and stop a gstripe volume, from what im reading, betting im wrong ;)

No, you don't have to start and stop it. You can add it to /etc/fstab and have it mounted on boot. All you have to do is add the kernel module to load on boot and you are set.

I have gconcat/gstripe set up on my server, loads up automatically.

geom_concat_load="YES"
geom_stripe_load="YES"

or just the gstripe line ?

Hey X what's wrong about leave the drive as a storage disk, I have a 500 gig come in the mail back from seagate, and I was just going use it that way, I'm not on the tech programing tip.

so its agreed then - gstripe the buggers and add geom_stripe_load="YES" to loader.conf

/dev/stripe/1TB 902G 4.0K 830G 0% /store - nothing has been uploaded to it yet, i thought you said i wouldn't loose anything X ?

Last edited:
I could be totally reading all of the comments wrong but why would you want to make your backup into a raid setup, unless its mirroring. If you have a crash or something happens you are pretty much screwed out of all your information.

What you need to do is get a 1TB drive and be done with it lol

all that will be going on there will be backed up anyway - just easier to have it on a pc then to find it on a disc - and if i were to use raid 1 i would only have 465gb of space

You have a point, and having only 465GB is a good reason not too eh

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back