devfs               1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
/dev/ad0s1e         496M     24K    456M     0%    /tmp
/dev/ad0s1f          27G     11G     14G    43%    /usr
/dev/ad0s1d         1.9G     90M    1.7G     5%    /var
/dev/mirror/home     36G     25G    8.0G    76%    /usr/home
tank                282G      0B    282G     0%    /tank
tank/media          334G     52G    282G    16%    /usr/media
tank/archive        315G     33G    282G    11%    /usr/archive

Works perfectly, mount points even stuck around after a reboot.

The machine it is running on is a 32 bit machine, so it is slow, but plenty fast for what I need it to do. Creating a file from /dev/zero is about 86 MB/sec, and ZFS dynamically stripes it across the drives, so for a 10 GB file, 2.5 GB will end up on each drive. I am happy with how easy it was to set up. I knew ahead of time the performance was not going to be the greatest, but ZFS is already showing one thing I love. I can dynamically add drives, and ALL of my zfs file systems can hold more data. That is absolutely awesome.

Last edited:
mine has this time :) i think i found out what i was doing wrong, all i require to know now is do i have to wipe the drive i want to add (dd) or can i add it to the tank with a ufs file system on it ?

or should i just remove everything from the zfs and re do it from scratch ? no hard to do as there isn't much on there atm, and im more than likely going to use it as one large drive anyway and just add folders as i need to - so only have to worry about one mount point :)

You generally don't want to use the main "tank", you want to at least create another ZFS sub-file system.

And you can just do

zpool add tank ad<number>

If the drive had a UFS partition on it, it will be destroyed and then used. You will lose all the data on the drive, so if you need it, copy it to what you already have in ZFS, then add in the drive after the fact.

I was told it was unstable on 32 bit, I had never expected to be able to panic my system within the first few hours of really using it :p.

Back I go to gconcat and friends. Might not be as cool, but at least they won't blow up in my face randomly.

im using 64bit FreeBSD so i should be safe correct? - and yes i know i cant use /tank (or/media or /nas) as main i know i will have to use something like /storage/media

my-serv# zpool create tank ad6 ad8 ad10
my-serv# zfs create tank/ftp
my-serv# zfs create tank/media
my-serv# zfs set mountpoint=/usr/ftp tank/ftp
my-serv# zfs set mountpoint=/usr/media tank/media
my-serv# zpool status
pool: tank
state: ONLINE
scrub: none requested
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
tank ONLINE 0 0 0
ad6 ONLINE 0 0 0
ad8 ONLINE 0 0 0
ad10 ONLINE 0 0 0

errors: No known data errors
my-serv# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
/dev/ad4s1a 496M 378M 78M 83% /
devfs 1.0K 1.0K 0B 100% /dev
/dev/ad4s1e 1.9G 12K 1.8G 0% /tmp
/dev/ad4s1f 64G 30G 29G 51% /usr
/dev/ad4s1d 1.9G 160M 1.6G 9% /var
tank 1.1T 0B 1.1T 0% /tank
tank/ftp 1.1T 0B 1.1T 0% /usr/ftp
tank/media 1.1T 0B 1.1T 0% /usr/media

now to see if they are still there after a reboot :D - it is :p

Last edited:
gstripe, gmirror, g<whatever> depending on what you need to get done.

merge 2x500gb and 1 x 200gb into one big drive for storage under x86, x64 FreeBSD is nice but some of the programs i use don't seem to like x64 plus there is no driver files for nvidia cards under x64, there is for windows, Linux, and even Solaris, so i don't know why Nvidia don't pull their finger out of their ass and sort it.

Think i tried gripe before, and didn't allow the full amount of the drives afterwards, could that be through me doing something wrong or it reserving 8% of the drive for soft updates ?

If you want to add three drives that are not the same size together, use gconcat.

is that with striping them or just using gconcat ?

gconcat label -v 1tb /dev/ad6 /dev/ad8 /dev/ad10 - newfs /dev/concat/1tb - would that be the right way ?

is a bit hard as i don't have a freebsd machine here atm - guess i will have to look online instead

edit: after reading on-line looks like i was right :)

Just a heads up you can move mount points without losing your information :) while the drive is mounted :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back