Best way to backup info for a clean install

buzlink

OSNN Junior Addict
Well I'm getting ready to redo my computer with a fresh install of XP and then an update to SP2 on my Dell Dimension 8300.

I'm doing this after web update of SP2 trashed my system, I'm getting by with a repair install of XP.

Anyways what’s the best way to backup current user info?
Can I just copy of the username file folder under Documents and Settings to an extra HD and the put them back once finished with my fresh install?

Are there better ways? Can I copy the whole folder over or are their folders or info that might mess up new user accounts on the fresh instillation?

Any info on slipstreaming my XP cd? Has anyone had any luck?
New drivers? Programs that can install by themselves with XP? Can I get Office 2000 Pro to install with windows?

Also how should I set my hard dive up? I’m looking for the easiest way to keep data organized and easy to use, and easy to recover if disaster strikes again.

Thanks for the input.
Any links to guides our or own ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Explain "trashed my system"? I believe Dell has a patch for SP2 as for some reason SP2 doesn't play well with Dell systems and Dell claims they can't support 3rd party software .. aka its are hardware but we aren't going to tell you that. :p

wrt moving info from one hdd to another and then moving it back... you can do that with the majority of files..

some installed progs (if you happen to keep em in that folder) may not work or work well... but .doc files and stuff should be just fine

Any info on slipstreaming my XP cd? Has anyone had any luck?
New drivers? Programs that can install by themselves with XP? Can I get Office 2000 Pro to install with windows?

Have slip streamed 2 XP Pros and one XP Home Cds ... works well , see www.winsupersite.com c/o Paul Thurrott.
Walk through using Nero (aagh) and ECD Creator 5/6.

Thanks

Well thanks for the info.
I’m going to try and backup tonight and do a reinstall.

Is there anyway of verifying everything that gets copied over to the backup hard drive with what is on the original, so nothing ends up missing or corrupted once I copy it back over to the fresh install drive?

Thanks

buzlink said:
Well thanks for the info.
I’m going to try and backup tonight and do a reinstall.

Is there anyway of verifying everything that gets copied over to the backup hard drive with what is on the original, so nothing ends up missing or corrupted once I copy it back over to the fresh install drive?

Thanks

I always open the important stuff after I move it, just to be sure. The other stuff I usually trust. I don't have any problems.

subscribing to thread with interest.... about to undertake similar with my XP1900+ rig, well one of them. What has happened is I have been given a matching system by someone (identical, with similar OEM preinstalled XP on hidden FAT partition) so I am aiming to move everything out to the new one and reset the old one to recovery and see if it still gives BSODs.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back