Best type of hardware for a gaming server

homesick1337

Computer Lover
I was curious if i had $5000. What would folks recomend when building a high end system to host counter strike source. Dual proccessors etc,etc. AMD FX 53? P4 EE? What type of memory? HD etc?

What would be the exact parts to use or a good online site to order from with a pre done computer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
Homesick1337

P.S i was debating something with a FX-53 based proccessor and 2 gigs of memory but was not sure if this would be suitable or not.

Probably go for the FX-53, they both have 2MB L-3 Cache, and the FX53 is generally better than the P4EE, not to mention it will support 64-bit later. If you go for the FX53 consider getting ultra-low latency ram, it improves performance alot with those processors.

If it was a server I would go for the Opteron.
And in fact will be. OSNN will be hosted on dual opterons before the end of the year.

Electronic Punk said:
If it was a server I would go for the Opteron.
And in fact will be. OSNN will be hosted on dual opterons before the end of the year.
say you were to write out a complete list including memory, hard drives, etc.

What would you choose?

I never worked with a opterons before, I have built many P4 systems from the P2 days up to now , did water cooling with exos etc, anything I should know before hand working with opteron?

Electronic Punk said:
http://www.coreix.net/dedicated/dualopteron240_details.php

Thats the package I am hoping to go with, perhaps slightly modified ;)
say for ordering each part off new egg .com

what parts would you recomend? It only list plain generic things. I want to physically build this not have a host.

Right now for the proccessor I am looking at this

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-456&depa=1

Btw I do appreciate you taking the time to give me your input, I value it greatly.

We use these at work: Dell Poweredge 6600.
4 processor Xeon, with Dell Gold support, so if there is a problem with the server they have to be here in four hours.

Weighs a tonne, managed to lift one once, not gonna try it again.

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/pedge_6600?c=uk&l=en&s=pad

pedge_6600_quarter_131x145.jpg

Electronic Punk said:
What will be the server's role?
to host 2 Counter Strike Source servers. I really want to go with operton after reading about it.

I know it will take 2 of them , the link I posted was the 250 version for $1k a pop.

Question is what mobo , memory, etc would you recomend?

if you could maybe make a online wish list using those parts I could just copy them and order it right now.

Its for a internet cafe I work at. So im going to host those servers and do some other task involving it right. Right now where running xeons for 1.6 but want to try something different for CS source.

Well from what LordofLA tells me, who works at Coreix, they had 20 UT2004 servers running on one server and the server load was 0.04 - thats crazy mad.

I imagine with Opterons there is a small list of recommended motherboard makers and what have you. I would have recommended going for a prebuilt one with a capable level of support, but as it is only Counter-strike (blasphemy I know), I don't think that is too much of an issue.

champ2005 said:
Probably go for the FX-53, they both have 2MB L-3 Cache, and the FX53 is generally better than the P4EE, not to mention it will support 64-bit later. If you go for the FX53 consider getting ultra-low latency ram, it improves performance alot with those processors.

the fx-53 does not have 2 mb L3 cache... only the P4 EE does...

homesick1337 said:
I was curious if i had $5000. What would folks recomend when building a high end system to host counter strike source. Dual proccessors etc,etc. AMD FX 53? P4 EE? What type of memory? HD etc?

What would be the exact parts to use or a good online site to order from with a pre done computer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
Homesick1337

P.S i was debating something with a FX-53 based proccessor and 2 gigs of memory but was not sure if this would be suitable or not.

EP has covered the points I think...

a dual xeon or dual opteron setup with 2 gigs of memory should easily cover you :)

if you do go with a dual opteron setup try getting one where each cpu has its own memory bank coz that eliminates one potential bottleneck...

all told you should easily be able to get a nice custom or prebuilt setup for the price range you have...

If it's just a game server I would go w/ alot of RAM. I think just a descent 1Ghz CPU would do fine. I would spend the rest on a good pipe cuz your going to need low pings and lots of bw. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back