Best software for locking down pc

BonyTony

OSNN Senior Addict
I want to lock my pc down whilst i go away on holiday which means i want the harddrive protected with software somehow in case it gets stolen no one can acces the harddrive...at all !.

Which software would you reccomend for protecting your pc from nosy peeps ?

damn you must have some important data on youre drive :)
You can always put a bios password on your pc..., but to protect the drive i think you can put a password on all your folders if you use ntfs...

Work within the courts !.

The bios password is quite easy to get around i was thinking more of locking the harddrive down even if its removed from the pc,looking around at the moment but alot of junk out on the net.

XP comes with a lock feature, not quite like what you are talking about, but if you do it right, then you should have no problems.

First, the lock pc shortcut:

%windir%\System32\rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation

Simply create a shortcut, with that being the command line.

Secondly, make sure you have a password set for yourself that your screen saver also uses the password feature.

A quick tweak to remove the shutdown command from the welcome screen is as follows (as long as you are using Professional).

Open Group Policy Editor
Computer Configuration
Windows Settings
Security Settings
Local Policies
Security Options
"Shutdown: Allow system..."
Change to disabled

Although, if you want to leave your PC inaccessable, I recommend turning off the welcome screen all together.

And just to be extra safe, disable the guest mode and all user accounts other than your own.

Run compmgmt.msc
Local users and groups
Right click
Properties
Tick account is disabled.

This is the best way to keep your PC and files safe without going to drastic measures.

Good luck.

they can always rip youre hdd out of the case and put it in another pc... :p

Well, of course. The only way to stop them from doing that is removing it yourself and locking it up in a safe.

But then they might crack the safe. So maybe he should take the HDD with him.

But then they might follow him. hmm. You're stuck dude.

Why not just take the hard disk with you if its that important??

" Well, of course. The only way to stop them from doing that is removing it yourself and locking it up in a safe.

But then they might crack the safe. So maybe he should take the HDD with him.

But then they might follow him. hmm. You're stuck dude.

__________________ "

Sorry, had to comment:

LOL Hillarious :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back