Best software for cloning HDD

kingsam

OSNN Addict
Can anyone recommend any software,freeware if poss or pay,to copy all my HDD data to another one which will be a backup,my backup hdd is a usb2.On my existing hdd,i have 5 partitions 1 of which is XP PRO.Many thanks

You can try and use the Windows File transfer Wizard on the Windows CD. or if it's just data files (ie not system files) then why not just drag n drop on to the backup drive?

If you mean "cloning" instead of just copying ... Norton Ghost does the job.

Yep, Norton Ghost too as vern has mentioned. One thing though, not sure if it allows for alternation to partition size after the clone because it clones the partition and keep a record of its size.

Acronis True Image, nothing beats it ..

g4u! Free, uses NetBSD, makes an image of the hard drive, throws it on a ftp, then you can do whatever you want from there. Hard disk cloning made free and easy.

I already have Drive Image 2002 and it's worked well for me in the past, but if I were to buy something again, it would be Acronis True Image, simply because it supports more partition formats.
If you're just going to use it with FAT32/NTFS, you can't go wrong with any of them - Norton Ghost, Drive Image or True Image.

napalmnthemorning said:
I would agree that Acronis True Image is excellent but my preference is Partition Magic 8.

Partition Tragic isn't a cloning program ..

I use norton ghost, as far as putting the cloned image onto a bigger drive? it does fine, any left over space on the new drive is turned into free space.

Kermit_The_Frog said:
Yes you can easily copy a partition to another drive with it.

That is something I never knew it could do. Thanx for the info :)

Hi thanks guys,i decided to give Acronis True Image a try and it works a treat,copyed my hdd over to another for use as a back up,plugged the new hdd in and tryed it,and its a exact copy.Would definitely reccomend for backups etc,easy to use as well.Cheers guys again,it saves me having to install os etc,when the pc goes crashing or when ive messed something up.Thanks all

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back