• The Saga Of Ryzom

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lineage

• Lineage2

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Planetside

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Star Wars Galaxies (pre-crappy version)

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • The Sims Online

• Total voters
D

dagothur

I just wanted peoples opinions on what you think the best MMORPG was or is.

As much as I hate to say it, WoW is pretty good. Its overrated sure... but its addicting and there are lots of people to play with. So I would say its up there.

I'm no fan of rpg games otherwise I'd try out some of them. However, I can't justify paying monthly subscription to play WoW though.

I've only played WoW, Guild Wars, and Kingdom of Loathing. If you're in for the long haul, WoW would be your choice. If you are more casual and prefer to do your gaming in two hour blocks or less, Guild Wars has some incredible bang for the buck.

Kingdom of Loathing is just plain fun(ny) ;)

honestly..... i've played WoW.... i've played RF Online..... i've played Knight Online..... i've played Auto Assult (which by the way is FUN!!!! nothing beats the ability to shoot your enemy down..... or just run them the hell over!)..... i've played City of Heroes/Villains.... i've played ROSE Online..... to make it short i've played a lot of the more popular/recent MMORPG's..... and nothing has been more satisfying than Ragnarok Online. yes.... not the most graphically intense game out there.... but it's a lot more fun than the rest. too many MMORPG's out there that have been released as of late may be rather fun and look pretty.... but they're missing one thing that i think MAKES an MMORPG, and could break it if it's not there.... and that one thing is being able to make the character the way you want. with WoW.... you don't get to adjust stats..... you don't get to choose a possibly different weapon than other people use..... you're pretty much stuck being the class you pick, with the weapons specifically for that class.

with Ragnarok Online... you start out as a novice, leveling and increasing your stats BY YOURSELF (str, agi, dex, int, vit, luk), and when you reach Job Level 10, you can become either a Mage, Swordsman, Thief, Acolyte, Merchant, or Archer. Then you level more, and as you level, you add to your stats for which class you picked (usually lots of Int for mages to increase magic attack strength and have more SP to cast more spells), but you can also choose to break out of the mold.... and maybe be a mage that can dish out a lot of damage from afar, and in close range, hit hard with a weapon, and dodge attacks rather well. Then, when you hit job level 40, you can choose to be one of two second jobs depending on what first job you took (for instance.... a Thief has the option of being either an Assassin, or a Rogue), and you have a different set of skills added onto your original job's skills depending which second job you chose. Then, once you hit Base level 99.... you can be reborn as a Novice High, start out with more stat points, and if you chose your 2nd job to be an Assassin, you go through Novice High, Thief High, and then you can become an Assassin Cross, which adds some pretty powerful attacks to use. Granted it's a long road to get that far, but it's usually worth it in the end.

i just hate it when you can't make your own style. usually it's BEST to stick with the norm..... but it's nice to know you don't necessarily have to.

Guild Wars allows for a nice mix of classes with use of many combo's of weapons and spells with skills that can be mixed and matched as many times as you feel, plus you dont need to spend $200 a year to be able to play. Seems that Guildwars does not get the same attention as WOW but strange as that might be Guildwars was MMORPG of the year and 6th best overall game WOW never made the top 10.

Here is a quick review from Gamespy.

One of our favorite games this year also happens to be the best MMO that was released in 2005. It's difficult not to heap praise on Guild Wars: it has a novel approach to PvP, it has great PvE content, and there's no subscription fee to play it. When you consider that last point, it's easy to assume that the game's quality simply isn't up to par with subscription-based MMOs, but, as anyone whose played it can attest, that is simply not the case.
But perhaps "MMO" is a bit of misnomer in Guild Wars' case. The genre is, traditionally, restrictive and unapproachable. Guild Wars' designers have seemingly gone out of their way to so that this won't be the case with their game. Progressing through character levels is only your focus for a fraction of the time you'll spend playing the game. That's because the game (correctly) works under the premise that players want to get to the fun stuff as soon as possible -- the "fun stuff," of course, being the PvP.
guildwars_pc.jpg
Many MMOs have attempted to focus on PvP, with varying degrees of success. Guild Wars' approach, however, is pretty ingenious. By incorporating elements native to team-based FPS's, the game has managed to provide PvP battles that range from short, contained skirmishes, to full-on guild-on-guild battles, all the while avoiding the pitfalls associated with this type of combat in the genre: namely, griefing. In short, Guild Wars is the most novel MMO to be released in a long time, let alone this year, and it's not solely because of the game's content.

Last edited:
and i find it odd that ever since it's release.... not even Guild Wars's maker saw Guild Wars as a MMORPG.

Guild wars isnt an MMORPG thats why :)

It's just an MMO, not entirely certain which subgenre though.

Guild wars isnt an MMORPG thats why :)

It's just an MMO, not entirely certain which subgenre though.

If you put it against todays games, took out the online element, it's actually a robust RPG by almost any standard. You're definitely right; it's very hybridized. Maybe MMO...RPG/Strategy? Yeah, it's hard to put a label on it. The PvP is heavily loaded with strategy, but then again, so is Counterstrike.

Last edited:
It really is unique in places thats why the bang of the buck value really shows.

i remember it being called a semi-specific genre name a while ago..... don't remember exactly what it was though. think they considered it more of an Adventure RPG than MMO. MMO usually entails seeing everyone, everywhere, no matter where you go, whereas Guild Wars you only see everyone while in town.

Yes it so cool to be able to level and do quests without getting raped all the time by someone you dont know for no reason.

WoW but it is bull**** that u need to pay for the extra features

man you need an Others category there....

I mean I am playing Zelderex right now - but I know that would not figure, it is probably minus an M and an RPG by most peoples standards!

That poll missed out NC Softs mst succesfull two mmorpgs and the current leading sci-fi mmorpg anarchy online. If you're going to make a pol about the best MMO's put the current market demonstrated best ones on the list :p

So you need to add Everquest 1+2 , anarchy online, second life, etc up :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back