best ipod manager?

Whatever floats your boat as they say, does everything I need it to do but if you need more you need more :laugh:

I use iTunes too for similar reasons as EM. My only beef is the way it manages the library itself, and the limitations for sharing it and using it from a network location.

As far as actually going between iTunes and the iPod, it works good enough for me.

Try media monkey, It started out as a lark for me, but handles a huge library quite well.

caveat, I don't have an Ipod, but a Sansa Fuze.

I have almost 13,000 songs. I'll have a look at the above links as well.

I have to think though - wouldn't Apple do the best job of managing a device they made? Not always the truth, but interesting thought.

I know this is somewhat unrelated but I use a program called Requiem to decrypt my iTunes purchased songs so I can play them on my Archos 5.

The author of the program actually reverse engineered iTunes to make an algorithm to find the keys and to decrypt your Music and Videos the same way iTunes does. It is completely lossless, so there is no quality loss. Currently, requiem (currently at version 1.8.2) will work on only iTunes 8.0.1 and lower, though 8.0.2 (current iTunes version) is being worked on. I highly recommend this program. Just google it.

I know this is somewhat unrelated but I use a program called Requiem to decrypt my iTunes purchased songs so I can play them on my Archos 5.

The author of the program actually reverse engineered iTunes to make an algorithm to find the keys and to decrypt your Music and Videos the same way iTunes does. It is completely lossless, so there is no quality loss. Currently, requiem (currently at version 1.8.2) will work on only iTunes 8.0.1 and lower, though 8.0.2 (current iTunes version) is being worked on. I highly recommend this program. Just google it.
there's no reason to decript these files, you can go into the folder from explorer on your computer and unhide the view, copy the ipod control folder and all your songs are playable and importable from that folder without any decription needed, it's just a pain to do this manually and I would rather an ipod handler that is not itunes, they are @nal about where you play your own property

I really don't like this company's philosophy about my stuff and I don't understand why people prefer the ipod player over mp3 or any format for that matter, my frigging phone plays music better then this thing, I play my tunes straight from my smartphone and it's much more magageable

however I am probably going to get an itouch somewhere down the road so I am getting used to this seemingly archaic (to me) format

thanx for the recomendation on that itunes handler and I will surely give that a go as well

anyway, if you want more access to your tunes you have to launch itunes in safe mode, which means connect your ipod while holding shift control and keep holding while you launch itunes, it will ask if you want to launch in safe mode you hit yes and don't let go of shift control till you see the device listed in the itunes program

Last edited:
I have to think though - wouldn't Apple do the best job of managing a device they made? Not always the truth, but interesting thought.

if that were true nobody would ever get software to run on their computer when that computer came with a native program, for instance most users here prefer opera or firefox to ie

I do a better job managing apple's hardware then they and I don't even need software to do it, they do a miserable job as far as I am concerned

I remember when I first learned to drive the first car I had was an automatic, my mom asked my why I shifted my automatic transmission, shouldn't the auto do a better job?

the answer, (obviously) was no, I do a far better job.

apple forces you to do it their way with very few choices or not enough choices for how I want to handle my own property..they, seem to have no clue what I want to do with my own stuff and I am surprised peeps here are happy with how apple wants you to handle your owns stuff however to each their own

Last edited:
I've looked at Mediamonkey and Songbird. They are decent, if you started your library with them. Right now I have almost 600GB of music, the majority of which are rated, all have tagged correctly. None of those tunes are from iTunes. I refuse to buy any of their DRM crap. Ripping my own CDs and buying from Amazon is so much easier and more portable in case I want to finally move away from iTunes. I hate Itunes, but I have yet to see a way that can transfer my ratings, my podcasts, and have good last.fm integration. Songbird 1.0 which just came out looked very promising, but it doesn't support my iPhone or iPod Touch.

The search continues.

I've looked at Mediamonkey and Songbird. They are decent, if you started your library with them. Right now I have almost 600GB of music, the majority of which are rated, all have tagged correctly. None of those tunes are from iTunes. I refuse to buy any of their DRM crap. Ripping my own CDs and buying from Amazon is so much easier and more portable in case I want to finally move away from iTunes. I hate Itunes, but I have yet to see a way that can transfer my ratings, my podcasts, and have good last.fm integration. Songbird 1.0 which just came out looked very promising, but it doesn't support my iPhone or iPod Touch.

The search continues.
you could copy and paste to see how it works you don't need to move your property, if all goes well all your tags and licenses should remain intact, if it does not go well you still have your property loaded in the itune program

you have nothing to lose by trying, simply copy instead of move

Last edited:
trying media monkey right now since they have a free version, will let everyone know how it is in a few days

MediaMonkey is based on itunes. It does all that Itunes does, except, it will handle flac files and ogg files, which iTunes will not. It is a good program over all.

MediaMonkey is based on itunes. It does all that Itunes does, except, it will handle flac files and ogg files, which iTunes will not. It is a good program over all.
ya, I'm having trouble with media monkey adding personal recordings to an existing file which I can do manually through explorer but I really want to just drag and drop, will have to try your program next

Perris,

Only the paid version has automatic folder watch. I don't know why that is, but it is. Although, media monkey is based on I tunes it allows for Winamp plugins, especially the ASIO, output.. It handes podcasts and other things pretty decently. and is customizable as to what you wnat to show.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back