best imaging software?

Perris Calderon

dealer
Staff member
Political Access
My companies hardrive is about to fail, I want to image to another hardrive before I do anything with it

I haven't done this for a while, I'm not up on any of the latest

suggestions on best software to do this please

thanx in advance

norton ghost is what I'm used to, but that was a while ago, is it still any good?

is there anything better?

norton ghost is the one I always hear about, and programs usually stay good if there good.

If you ask me, any of those programs are the same

I have always just used ghost. I like all the options and its easy to use.

I have also used this. http://www.acronis.com/
It works just as well. Less options but worth a try for sure.

posts merged

Last edited by a moderator:
new question;

without going into the bios, is there any way to tell if a drive is physical or logical?

the people that built this box claim they installed two hardrives, but I don't know, I have an "e" for storage and I can't fugure out if it's physical

I don't want to boot into the bios because the drive is failing and it will chkdsk for a half hour before I can use it again

Right click on my computer > Manage > Computer Management > Storage.

Maybe that will help?

in those settings it just sayings Basic for the type, that dosen't show him what he needs. hmmm

I installed belarc to read the bios

I have maxtor on 1; 6b250sd

on 0; 6yo8omd

I'm assuming these are two separte hardrives?

I don't know anything about maxtor and google gives me a blank on these id #'s

go to control panel / administrative tools / computer managment / Disk managment

should show you there

I have to say for years, probably the last three, I was a strong supporter for Norton Ghost.

That being said, I have since switched to Acronis and will NEVER go back. Main reason? Acronis lets you image without taking the machine down. For the servers I manage I can do real-time backups, even schedule to unlock databases so the machine can constantly be in use. In regards to restoration, you can create an image, boot to it, and actually run from the image before the machine is fully restored so services are available.

For stand-alone, client PCs, Ghost is the way to go. For anything Enterprise, Acronis hands down.

go to control panel / administrative tools / computer managment / Disk managment

should show you there

I just stated that it does not...device manager also does not show you

I think the only way is to go in BIOS, and even then does it show you which it is?

I think you have to use a partitioner, like PartitionMagic, to show you which it is.

should show you there

it doesn't say if the drives are physical or logical

[edit]

oops, bman got to the response first

If a drive is partitioned, it can have multiple letters but only one device ID.

As you can see, my drive is partitioned so I have more than one letter, but only one "Disk 0"

Therefore - only one physical disk

Attachments

• hds.JPG
    hds.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 94
I'm sorry to say, PartitionMagic shows if it is Primary, or Logical

*edit, most paritions are physical, are they not?

If a drive is partitioned, it can have multiple letters but only one device ID.

As you can see, my drive is partitioned so I have more than one letter, but only one "Disk 0"

Therefore - only one physical disk
ya, it looks like two phyiscal disks

Also as NLM pointed out, Device Manager will show how many physical drives are present as well.

Disk Management gives you more control over them.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back