Best graphics card to go for in my price range?

st4rk

OSNN Addict
I am going to buy a new graphics card for my dell cpu and my price range is around £150 i have found to cards about that price which do you think is better or any others i should consider.

XFX GeForce 7600GT XXX 256MB DDR3 PCIE Dual DVI: £148.05 inc vat
http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.aspx?Quicklinx=40YC&CategorySelectedId=11021&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11021&InMerch=1

or

Gainward GeForce 6800GS "Goes Like Hell" 512MB GDDR3 TVO: £154.28 inc vat
http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.aspx?Quicklinx=40YC&CategorySelectedId=11021&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11021&InMerch=1

can post cpu specs if needed.

ray_gillespie said:
get yourself a couple of pints with the change :)

Damn good advice :laugh:, thanks for the corrected link as well :nervous:

all of the benchmarks ive seen show the 7600 gt beating the 6800 gt and most people will tell you that the 7600 gt beats the 6800 ultra

Last edited:
Check the power supply in that Dell to make sure it will support a faster video card.

Those cards require an 18A on the +12V rail. If the Dell is older or came with on board video it likely will need a new PSU also.

Post the complete system specs or a link.

As for the cards there are two more posts recently discussing cards in that price range. Here's one:

http://forum.osnn.net/showthread.php?t=84066

Note the spreadsheet I posted. It shows most of the cards, their hardware spec's and recent pricing in USD at Newegg.

The 7600 has a faster fill rate the 6800 has a faster/wider memory interface.
I think I saw an XFX 7600GT with a wide 256 memory interface for about $30 more. That is the way to go.

Check the details on openGL support. Some of the low end cards are older chipsets that don't support openGL 2.0. Avoid them.

I wish I would've waited for the 7xxx series! I have a 6800 Go in my laptop which I purchased just before the 7800 was released. My friend got the 7800 and it blows away the 6800, they're both Go series (Alienware Laptop) but the DirectX performance is much better in the 7800! I know you're asking about the 7600 but the 6600 was close in performance to the 6800 so you're probably fine with that one too!

How much is that in Dollars?
Isn't it like 300 + change?
You can get a ton of good cards for that, you can probably get mine, which is the 7900gt ko superclocked, at first the card seemed to be not so good, then i turned net_graph 3 on in counterstrike source and i get 270 fps on average.

CPU Type: Intel Pentium 4 530, 3000 MHz (15 x 200)
Motherboard Name: Dell Dimension 5000
System Memory: 2048 MB (DDR2-400 DDR2 SDRAM)
PCI Express x16: ATI Radeon X300(RV370)
HDDs: WD 250GB SATA 16MB 7200: Maxtor 250GB SATA 8MB 7200

Don't know if this is right info on the power supply, 10A 250V 8MI

I spoke to dell and they said it was 305 watts

Last edited:
Ok i just spoke to dell again and they confirmed that the 7000 series require more like 375 watts because of the extra mem usage and minifan, and they said that the only card they would suggest is the x600 :/ so know i need to know whether it is worth me starting a new build completely and getting a new mobo, psu, and graphics card (£$£$) or seeing if i can find a compatable psu for this dell or what the risks are of getting the card and hoping for the best... lol

Has anyone had any experience replacing the power supply on a dell computer, dell tech support really didn't have a clue about this :dead:

Last edited:
i have done it on a hp computer and i learned that large computer manufactures like dell build build computers that arent designed to be upgraded so you must buy a new computer. you should just save up your money and build your own computer. but if you still chose to try and upgrade your dell you should be able to just buy a new psu and swap it out. be careful on the size psu that you get because when i upgraded in my hp the new psu was too long for the case and it ran into my disk drives

Ok i just spoke to dell again and they confirmed that the 7000 series require more like 375 watts because of the extra mem usage and minifan, and they said that the only card they would suggest is the x600 :/ so know i need to know whether it is worth me starting a new build completely and getting a new mobo, psu, and graphics card (£$£$) or seeing if i can find a compatable psu for this dell or what the risks are of getting the card and hoping for the best... lol

Has anyone had any experience replacing the power supply on a dell computer, dell tech support really didn't have a clue about this :dead:

The power supply you will get is a standerd ATX format make sure you get one with the 20 pin or 24 pin connector as required yours I am pretty sure will be the 20 pin , then the problem is in the back of your case Dell likes to sell PSU's that do not include the on/off switch sooo you might need to cut away part of the case in the back, I have done it and it works , you just need to look at the PSU close and make sure your able to find the right one for you.

You have a good MB, CPU, RAM and HD.

All you need are a decent power supply $70-80 USD for a 480W Antec Truepower II and video card $150-450 depending on what you want to spend. And possibly another case fan, or select a 2 slot video card that exhausts out the back.

Then you will have a system that is good for 2-3 more years.

Also if you do not have an install CD make Dell supply one. It is required if anything goes wrong in the upgrade.

PS This isn't a scam on Dells part. To keep costs of basic systems down they bundle the video and power supply cost increase together on upgrades which is why they seem so expensive. They really should mention that in their information though.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back