Best graphic format, JPEG, PNG, GIF?

Michaelpina

OSNN Newbie
Hello friends,

I am having this discussion with my friends but at the end have not concluded. Please tell me which one is the best graphic format for any images, graphics and why?

It depends on what you are using it for... Usually I use jpeg, though ....

All have issues:

JPEG is extremely losy and looses more every time you reencode it. You can select how losy the compression is. More loss, smllaer fiels.

GIF is not losy but has a severey limited color range making it useless for digital photography.

TIFF can be selected as losy or lossless. File sizes are bigger

And you forgot PNG which was intended as a successor to GIF and can be selected to have a much better color range thna GIF. PNG is not as widely supported as the others.

Which is best? Depends on what you are doing.
Web pages in GIF will load fast.
JPEG can be really small, no tot bad looking photos.
TIFF will save your pictures as close to natural as possible.

Choose wisely.
Web pages in GIF load fast.

You forgot RAW... Wich is the best...

There is no such format as "raw" it is not a standard and varies from camera to camera. It also has a severe drawback. The files are huge, not large, not big, HUGE. Also, no apps, tools, etc can handle raw until it is converted by the manufacturer translation program.

Raw is arguably the worst format.

There is no such format as "raw" it is not a standard and varies from camera to camera. It also has a severe drawback. The files are huge, not large, not big, HUGE. Also, no apps, tools, etc can handle raw until it is converted by the manufacturer translation program.

Professional photographers shoot in it all the time because it gives them more control over the editing. My wife is going to school for photography, and it is a requirement that she shoot in RAW and edit her photos that way, and then save them as a JPG, or whatever else.

RAW is the best format. They are huge files, but so is a Flack audio file and and Wav Audio file.. RAW is actually a pictures Wav file , you could say.

I would compare a Jpeg to an MP3. lol ..

RAW is arguable the best format and the worst. :) The problem with the original question is that there was no reference to source or ultimate use for the pictures.

RAW formats are THE ideal format for anyone doing anything serious with digital photography and RAW formats are largely useless for just about everyone else.

To say no apps/tools handle RAW is frankly false as most digital photography apps handle/manipulate RAW just fine (Adobe lightroom, etc).

To say there is no standard is also both true and false. While camera makers have their own RAW formats, there is a pseudo-standard of DNG as a RAW format. You could, for example, take your CR2 RAW files from a Canon and convert them to DNG raw formats that could be shared/used by multiple programs (although, most of those same programs that you would use a DNG with, would also be able to use the CR2 file just fine).

Yes, Lightroom works great with RAW, from any camera.

Photographer - RAW

Average Person - JPEG

You can open/share/download/upload/edit JPEG pretty much anywhere. Most people don't care about the quality, unless you are a designer of some sort.

Well all of these are good but i think JPEG is the best in graphic point of view, but also the problem is that the picture become heavy in this format also there are some conditions in different programs where we have to follow the instructions just as we can only use JPEG or Gif etc.

melbourne graphic designing

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back