best free VNC software?

Taurus

hardware monkey
i swore i asked this a long time ago and i can't find the thread and a search for "VNC" doesn't turn up anything.

since the free version of realvnc doesn't work on Win7, what's the best program to use? something leightweight and simple is good.

i would like to use the built-in remote desktop feature, but it asks me to log in and i obviously can't log in as the user that's already logged in.

this is for the pc that stores all my media and does my downloading.

mstsc /console and you can login as the current user without disconnecting the session - atleast I could on win2k3

this is all i get. i made sure all the "remote desktop" and "remote access" services were started on both machines.

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 313
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 497
windows Vista/7/Server 2008 the "/console" switch is no longer used. The new switch is "/admin"
Code:
mstsc /admin

That being said, Taurus, what OS are you trying to connect to? Have you checked firewall settings on both sides?

Also, if you want to stick with VNC, have you looked at UltraVNC or TightVNC?

I get that message all the time when NOD32 Security Suite (firewall) is enabled. I have no idea how to get Remote Desktop to work without disabling the firewall.

That being said, Taurus, what OS are you trying to connect to? Have you checked firewall settings on both sides?

Also, if you want to stick with VNC, have you looked at UltraVNC or TightVNC?
i'm using Win7 x64 RC to connect to Win7 x64 RC. I just tried turning off the firewall on both machines and i get the same error.

i've tried TightVNC and Ultra VNC before and don't remember why I didn't use them. guess it's time to try again...

~a while later...~

okay, TightVNC seems to have a problem displaying the whole screen area of the server. it shows about %70 of the total area starting with the upper left corner. i think it has to do with the fact that i have everything resized to 150% on that computer for ease of use on a tv, but i didn't find out exactly.

UltraVNC doesn't want to work with it's "vista" video driver and is pretty slow/delayed when i turn it off. sort of annoying but it works for now.

i would rather do without a 3rd party app to accomplish something that the operating system has built-in and probably does a better job at.

If you dont mind having a process on the host with a beacon, try www.logmein.com its free. This is what I use to connect to my home PC from anywhere.

Otherwise, mstsc works fine... Maybe try adding a rule to the NOD32 firewall to let you through?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back