Best firewall??

uh oh

well, before anyone get's nutz over this because it's been asked so many times, ...

ha

so what

anyway, if you want the most en depth info, search the site, we've had this discussiion lots of times

if you want mho

sygate for prices, and benign nature, with excellant protection

sygate is gettin some wikkid reviews :)

i'm thinking of dumping Norton and downloading Sygate Personal Firewall PRO

I've used Norton Internet Firewall 2002 but not so satisfied .. whatever .. U can also try Norton Internet Security 2003 , seems to be much improved ..

i'm using Sygate 5.0 Pro right now and have not one complaint about it - Now if it came to the Zone Garbage that would be a diff story ;)

NIS 2003 Pro is nice also (Nav and the firewall) - Take a little bit to configure but it is nice .. To bad I can't say the same for the rest of Norton Products ..

I've heard good stuff about Sygate too ... but I use a hardware router myself.

I am using Tiny Personal Firewall 4.0 ;)

Works excellent on my Win XP PRO .. :D

that/s a nice firewall too...it also stores addresses for faster serfing

one peculiar thing, it makes you uninstall any other firewall, and then it is almost impossible to get reid of every trace if you try to uninstall it

but it's a nice one

Originally posted by Sinster
Anyone heard of these people?

http://www.agnitum.com/download/outpostfree.html

Or maybe someone here posted it :( I dont remember. But I was thinkg about dumping ZA Pro. For this one.

Yep I use that and I am constantly pluggin it as well cause I think it is so great.

So far the only problem I have had with it is that sometimes when you have just installed it it doesnt recognize Norton LiveUpdate properly, but this is fixed by manually adding

Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\LuComServer.exe

for some reason when that prog normally runs it calls itself lucoms~1 thats why Outpost has troubles.

Their is no such thing as a best firewall, reason for this is that if their was a best firewall, no1 would be able to crack it, hack it, it would be liturlty impossible to hack threw, that would be a best firewall, but unfortuniality, their issisnt, what i can do is recommend one to you, its Nortorn Internet 2001 firewall, reason i dident say 2002 or 2003, is because they have alot of problems with windows XP if u use one with their accounts and stuff and sometimes locks you out, most of the time it will freeze on u can crap, but if you update the 2001 to current updates, it will just do the same effect as if it were 2002 or 2003.

also get Norton Anti-virii 2003, thats good and more better, cause it will try and stop most of the common hacks that hackers use like trojans, it would be also wise to get The Cleaner, it cleans and destroys your infected computers that has a trojan.

Ah good point but....

The very best firewall you can get is a apair of wire cutters, a can of petrol and a lighter.

Step 1. Cut any internet or external network cables
Step 2. Make a ring of petrol around your computer
Step 3. Light the petrol

Bingo a nice cheap if not wholly environmentally friendly firewall.

Do not try this at home

talking to a couple online buds they were telling about compromising PC's mainly those of home users like us (tho my fear of large black men in jail stops me) :) if you use the net your vunerable ...no firewall will stop the ppl with a little skill

The only thing a firewall is good for, is an acceptable level of protection from trojans, though that will reduce as new ways are found to control trojans.
It also makes it harder and can deter so called "script kiddies" from accessing your PC too easily.
Against a true cracker (one who would have to be really bored to try and access a boring home users machine) a firewall is just a bit of fun.

lol a trojan, ummm no, sorry, all the firewall does is block outgoing and ingoing traffic and then some (NT-PASS, NETBUIE)

trojan on the other hand is a small server, more like telnet.

see a trojan will lemme put it in lamains terms, burns a hole threw the firewall, allowing axx to the computer, some1 could build a good enough server i would like to say, not trojan, to hide behind a firewall or sometimes act as one also.

see trojan is not really a virii (virus) its more of a server or a irriant to some people.

this is why most anti-virii software dont pick up trojans cause it aint a virii, but some trojans have some misc. code that can also do damage to the pc so becareful, this is why i have a Trojan Cleaner and a Anti-Virii

I have not used a firewall in over three years and nothing has ever happend.

I have also been virus free for three years so I don't really see the point in using security progs :-/

Maybe it's just because I know what to watch out for ....

But really, what good is a firewall ? (software)

I don't really see the point in them.

Originally posted by Luna64
I have not used a firewall in over three years and nothing has ever happend.

I have also been virus free for three years so I don't really see the point in using security progs :-/

Maybe it's just because I know what to watch out for ....

But really, what good is a firewall ? (software)

I don't really see the point in them.

Well thats probly most likly for you in your case u dont d/l nuthing at all with in those 3 yr's, cause with in those three years and u dont have a virii protection, ud prbly have a vrius right now and u would not even know it or a trojan or some sort of spyware, you could also have gotten if u just suff the web by getting misc. java coding.

but what good is a firewall u ask.

nun, its good for nuthing well one thing, attracting hackers, to find out ways to penetrate your computer, other then that, if ur good and you know what your doin, you have no need for a fire wall cause you would make shure you dont have ney vurnubalities.

get a BSD or *nix, script in your own firewall =)

Router for inbound stuff.
Packet sniffer/port monitor for outbound stuff.

Originally posted by w0lv3rin3
Well thats probly most likly for you in your case u dont d/l nuthing at all with in those 3 yr's, cause with in those three years and u dont have a virii protection, ud prbly have a vrius right now and u would not even know it or a trojan or some sort of spyware, you could also have gotten if u just suff the web by getting misc. java coding.

Eh....

I download over 2 gigs of stuff every week.

As for a Virus, I know I dont have one because I scanned my Hard Drives last week.

It's not hard to avoid a virus.

Though I have seen web pages with harmfull scripts in them.

So yea, I could see a use for a firewall.

Still, I have no use for them.

cool, but u do have a virii protection software so your cool, who needs a firewall

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back