Best file backup programs..

XpGuy1

Mindless Poster
Can i have your opinions on back up programs. I don't normally back up but i think its time i start before i'm left high and dry one day ...

I personally use drive image and make an image once or twice a month on a separate hard drive then just take that hard drive out of the pc for safe keepin.

The XP PRO Backup with ASR , backed up to a separate partition or cd drive, is free and really works.
Saves paying out good money !

I use Stomp's Backup MyPC to backup to a hard drive in a removeable drive drawer. This product started out as a Seagate product, bought by Veritas, and now by Stomp.
I have used a flavor of this product since Symantec bought PC Tools, maybe about 8 years ago, and killed off it's excellent backup prog.

It backs up to almost all media types (tape, DVD, hard disk, ZIP drive, etc) and has the ability to create a stand-alone recovery set (one that you don't have to reinstall Windows in order to recover your system).

A full hard-drive to hard-drive backup takes a little over 2.5 hours for 17+ Gig of data. This includes the time to compare the backup copy to the original. I do this out of habit from when I used tape and found that the tape media had gone bad.

I have two hard drives that I use as follows:
1) First Saturday of the month - take a full backup to drive A.
2) Each Saturday after the first one - take an incemental backup to drive A (only backs up what has changed since the last backup).
3) The first Satuday of the next month - take an incemental backup to drive A and then a full backup to drive B. Drive A goes to the office for off-site storage until the first weekend of the next month.

I use this procedure so that I can go back from 30 to 60 days to recover a file.

Harley

Drive Image works great.
You can back up over a network if you wish without having to find dos drivers for your nic card (sometimes impossible) .
You can also backup without kicking out of windows.
For file backup I use second copy.
Simple interface. Many backup options. Will execute program stops and restarts
e.g. close outlook, copy pst files, restart outlook.
Does incremental backup.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back